Need help with my 58 Impala hood adjustment

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I had the hinges rebuilt (thank you Willie W), new springs installed and I'm still not able to get the rear (near the cowl) of the hood low enough to match the height of the fenders OR even the cowl. Any pressure applied on the front of the hood to get it near the latch only puts a bow in it. I've even elongated the hinge mounting holes on the firewall thinking it would lower the hood closer. It didn't.. not sure what else to do here so any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There may be some guidance in the assembly or shop manuals on this?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If I remember right you have to loosen the mounting slide bolts and then raise front of hood at highest point to get hinges to slide then hold and have some one else tighten those bolts. You might have to readjust if hood went to far down.I could be wrong ,but worth a try.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I remember right you have to loosen the mounting slide bolts and then raise front of hood at highest point to get hinges to slide then hold and have some one else tighten those bolts. You might have to readjust if hood went to far down.I could be wrong ,but worth a try.

That sounds like how I did mine. Basically loosen the back hinge bolts with the fronts mostly tight.

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks to all those who replied.

El Rat, Having one of these "ole classics" requires finding some one in a body shop that is "old school" and knows how these cars were put together and what it takes to make the correct adjustments to align the various parts to them. All I've been finding is the shops that deal with the newer models and kids who never seen one of these cars because the first question is "what year is that? I'm continuing my searching though. Thanks-

Don, I've researched both the Shop manual (the hood isn't even covered in it) and the Assembly manual only has a few sheets in section 11 (sh 11, 12 & 15) that mention only the insulation retainer and clips and the use of shims (as required) on the bottom of the hinges at the firewall (which I have tried without success) and the optimum gaps to achieve between the hood and fenders (which I'd like to have once I figured out what's keeping the back of the hood up above the fenders so much).

Don S, That's what I went through when I first put the hood on the car. I tried the hinges at certain heights on the firewall. When I lowered the hinges all the way down as far as the slots would allow the hood to go it was still too high from front to back. So, I removed the hood and the hinges and elongated the slots in them both and reinstalled everything and got it a little closer to the fenders/cowl and that's where I am now... just trying to figure out how did the factory do it?

Jeff, I'm not sure what you are saying? Loosen the slotted bolts on the firewall with the bolts on the hood mostly tight?

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Maybe the hinge needs to move up so it can close fully. Just thinking the hinge has to work on an ark. Move the hood out on the hinge and work back with the hinge to get the hood to fit. :dunno

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I not sure what the 58 hinges look like, but do they have a "gear connecting the front and rear pivot points? If so, maybe they are clocked or timed wrong?:dunno If they don't have the gear teeth, then disregard. Just thinking out loud.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just realized that through your response is that the hinges bolt to firewall, not like a 61,62,63 where these bolt to side of inner fender . Are you sure you have original and correct hinges? I will look for adjustment of hood of can find any.

Junky

Well Known Member
I had to remove the right hinge on my 1962 to service the air conditioning, and when I put the hinge back on, I had the same problem. No amount of adjusting am I able to get it down, even though it was perfect before I removed it. I am going to be bringing it to a restoration shop, who said that they can get it back to where it belongs. It is truly an art to be able to align these body parts, and even though I worked in a body shop for 4 years while in college, I still don't have the skills any longer. I knew how to do it back then, but now, 50+ years later, both my memory and my body don't work like they used to. Take it to a restoration shop, and it will save you a lot of aggravation in the end.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok ,reading some old postings they are saying that when you lower hinge bolted to firewall it is lower than front of hood. So raise your hinge 's at firewall up .

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I know it sounds wrong, but sometimes you have to raise the hinges on the firewall to lower the hood. James hit it, the reason is that the hinge gets out of its arc and can't close completely. No guarantees, though.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I know it sounds wrong, but sometimes you have to raise the hinges on the firewall to lower the hood. James hit it, the reason is that the hinge gets out of its arc and can't close completely. No guarantees, though.
Actually on a 62,63,64, where hinge is bolted to inner fender , by loosening mounting bolt and raising front of hood and then tightening bolts you are raising hinges also. Just a lot easier than the firewall mountrd hinges . Same principle different procedure.

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Just realized that through your response is that the hinges bolt to firewall, not like a 61,62,63 where these bolt to side of inner fender . Are you sure you have original and correct hinges? I will look for adjustment of hood of can find any.

Yes, My hinges are the originals to the car and were verified by Willie Wilson when he had restored them. When I was first having this trouble, he asked me to send him picture's of the hinges to check that the gears and teeth were clocked properly (as he does a lot of hinge restorations) and couldn't remember if he had done that when he worked on mine.

I will do as others have suggested and raise the hinges on the firewall slightly, move the hood forward on the hinges and check what results I get from doing that and refine it as necessary. It does make sense (in a way) that by raising the back of the hood that it reconfigures the arc of the hinges to align the hood with the surrounding metal.

Thank you.. to all those who have replied to this post so far. I do appreciate it!