Need some education on factory interior and exterior floor pan paint

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Not that I am going to change paint right now, but I'd like to know what the correct factory paint finish on both the interior and exterior floor pans of a 1962 Impala SS, When was red oxide used inside and or out? When was body color used inside and black on bottom? Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
My 63 that is Ermine white had red oxide with white overspray on the inside and black on the bottom. I think 62 and older might be red oxide on the bottom but we'll wait to hear from our panel of experts. :teehee

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Whatever the underside is, the interior floorboards will be the same color with an overspray of whatever the exterior body color is. Some cars, especially those from the Atlanta plant had grey primer on the underside. Not saying all Atlanta cars were grey but I've seen some that were.

airsurf

Well Known Member
Since the thread has started I'd be interested in the colors for a 59 as I'm about to have a new floor installed.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Every 62 that I restored (10 of them) had red oxide on the bottom (with body color overspray on outside edges of floor pan)
and the interior was red oxide on the floor and under the dash -with some overspray on the rockers.
plus I have seen at least 50 unrestored 61-62 cars in junk yards and friends 61-62 unrestored cars, all had red oxide interior floors

Paul

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
My 62 is St Louis built and it is red oxide on floor pan and on the underneath.

Attachments

• P9280362.JPG
    P9280362.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 10

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There should be a spot somewhere on the inside and outside of the floor with original paint on any car? Most of them anyway.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
My 61ss was Atlanta built and had grey primer. I believe they normally used red oxide but used other colors if they ran out of red