Need some help with Lakewood bellhousing and parts.....

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I will be using a Lakewood bellhousing and 11", either B&B or diagram (I have both) clutch going in a '62 Impala. Its a 409 with a Munice 4-sp. and headers. I have the fork and T/O bearing (short) and stud (short) installed in the housing. The clutch linkage is stock from the peddle to the Z-bar. I have not had this in the car yet and was going to do a mock up while the engine is out (also a bellhousing alignment). I have some questions on the parts needed to make it work. I think this combo has been done many times with cars on the 348/409 site. I do not have to keep the clutch linkage 100% '62, just need the correct parts to make it work smoothly.

1. What combination of fork, T/O bearing and stud length will be needed?

2. What pressure plate is considered best?

3. What USA made release bearings are the best?
I hear some name brands are now china made, not using those.

Thanks...........

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bearing will depend on what clutch you go with. Mcloud makes an adjustable bearing so you can dial it in. I would suggest an adjustable ball stud also. With the fork against the clutch fingers, you want the fork to be angled toward the front of the car slightly. That will give you the most leverage and travel. As for what clutch, call ram or mcloud and let them make a recommendation. Lots of good ones out there that will work fine. I wouldn't go with the borg and beck. Save that for a truck.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Good infor thanks. The bearing will have a somewhat different face depending on the plate you use. If I remember, pressure plates were rated in LBS, like 2400- 2800 or heavy duty 3200 lbs. Don't know if that is a usable figure anymore. I will make some calls....
Ball stud sounds like a good idea...checking that also.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Those days of heavy clutches that break the linkage and wear out your leg are gone. Better friction materials have made diaphragm pressure plates with good holding power and light pedal effort the norm. As for bearings, they all pretty much use a flat face with the only difference being height.