Need some help

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Ok I am stuck. I have the rear end out of the car and the frame is ready to be powder coated. But I am not sure on how to remove the rear control arms from the bracket on the rear end housing. I have tried everything I know which is not a lot :dunno so if there is a trick I would like to know it. I have used my dead blow hammer looked at my manuals but am coming up short. I do not what to damage anything so I just have the arms sitting there on the floor attached to the housing at the moment. Any thoughts would be welcome :?

I want to powder coat the control arms as well. Thanks guys

ratt409

If i remember right the lower shock mount is also the control arm bolt, i think you have to knock them out. Soak it with pb blaster put the nut back on and hit it with a brass hammer, or something that wont damage the threads, its been a long time as iv had a 12 bolt in my car since 1975, hope this helps. Greg :cool:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In the shop manual they show a special tool J-7063 that slides over the stud for the shock. Then they attach a slide hammer to that. Prior to that they suggest that you mark the flat spot on the threaded end of the shock mount with chalk on the control arm to index the shock stud. It sounds like to me you just need to hit it harder. If you have air chisel with a flat head bit and a piece of aluminum or brass you can hold on the end of the stud with the nut on and the end of the stud just barely poking out from the nut try that. You do not want to put any pressure on the nut just the stud. Good Luck.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
thanks I will go and give it a bigger hit tonight after marking the location I may need to figure out something else to index it if I am getting it powder coated.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Be careful..........there is a flat spot on the threaded part of the lower shock mount. It locates the mount properly and keeps it from spinning as you either tighten or loosen the nut. If it spins on you........you MUST replace it.

Try tightening 2 nuts together where one just extends past the stud. Then use your BFH on that. With 1 nut, you could damage the threads.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don't Panic

Even if you bugger the shock bolts / control arm bolts you can buy new ones. I twisted one of mine taking it out (Literally twisted the thread) and had to make new ones buy canibalizing a set for 59 - 64. Go figure the 58 bolts are different one year only (Try finding a pair) Take pics of your marks for allignment before hand it should help for ref after powder coating. I also smoked the bushings with a torch, and it helped loosen the up, of course I was going to do bushings anyway.