Need Some Opinions.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So in the event that I have to go through the 348 in my 60 Impala, would you:
1) Leave it as is just freshen it up and bump the compression ( already has a fair sized cam in it) it is a low end turd?
2) Seeing as I have a nice set of original 690's, build a moderate 409 for it? Read 409/425 hp spec.
3) Bring it back to more stock for a tripower.
4) Other suggestions welcomed..

TIA Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well if was built back to stock spec's for a 60 FE engine it should already have pistons in the 11 1/4 range and 1147 heads.On a freshen up I would get a 409 crank,8 6.385 rods and a set of Icon pistons.Pocket port the heads and a small hyd.roller cam,bottom problem solved.If it's a 379 headed,9.5 cast piston engine, the same bottom end as above ,locate a set of 817's and go from there.If you're going for looks and a little fun,go tri power,if you're going for performance,an Edelbrock single 4 bbl. intake and an annular discharge carb in the 750 CFM range and a set of Wilsons.That's just me.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:yup I think the cheapo 348 stroker with the stuff Don mentioned would be a lot of fun. I always get tempted by a solid-lifter flat-tappet but there are a lot of reasons not to do that. I'd put the tri-power on the shelf unless I couldn't locate an Eddy intake anywhere. Add the Wilsons or Dougs, hopefully it's a stick?

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
With the aftermarket today you can always stroke the 348 out to a 438 with the 4" stroke eagle or scat rotating kit. I think the stock pistons are around 10.5 cr. You've now got more cubes than a 409, but you start getting limited with lift with some heads. I know the Eddy heads limit lift, but not sure about the Bob Walden heads or 690's you have. I've found that working with the W motors the limiting factor in your dreams tends to be dollars.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With the aftermarket today you can always stroke the 348 out to a 438 with the 4" stroke eagle or scat rotating kit. I think the stock pistons are around 10.5 cr. You've now got more cubes than a 409, but you start getting limited with lift with some heads. I know the Eddy heads limit lift, but not sure about the Bob Walden heads or 690's you have. I've found that working with the W motors the limiting factor in your dreams tends to be dollars.
Any 348 with the bigger 1.72 and up exhaust valves in the head will require notching at anything over.550,not just the Eddies.On a street driven car with todays cams,you can make all the power you'd want with less lift than that as long as you pick the right duration and lobe seperation range.The necessary notching for more than that is easy to do however.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So pulling this thread back up because I'm back on picking parts.
So it has the 1147 heads but low compression pistons. All other items on the outside are OK. Has the correct springs and seal pressures.
1) Build a 406 using the .030 over bore it already has, assuming it is correct for the clearance a forged piston wants.
2) 3.750 stroke crank with 6.135 I beam rods and nice forged piston.
3) Hydraulic roller cam. with 26918 Comp Beehive springs 145# @ 1.75 372#/in spring rate. See 2 options Comp cam cards attached
4) Probably new valves (stock diameters) and guides in heads, machined for 3/8 screw in studs.
5) Use my existing 1.7 Crane Gold Race rockers. Came from my 409 when I broke a pined stud.
6) "0" deck using .040-.042 MLS head gaskets.
Anything else?
XE272HR10.JPGXE284HR10.JPG

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 3.76 stroker is a good over all package.The pistons are basicly custom but Show Cars does get them from Ross.The first cam that you posted would be a torquer but not what you'd be happy with on a build such as this.That second one would be nice,just a little soft on the bottom but once past 2500-3000 hang on.Do some bowl work on those 1147's while you're,it will pay off big.