Need Some Opinions.

Junky

Well Known Member
Have Don build it for you and he will surprise you with an amazing build. Drop off the parts and the block, and slip him $25,000 in small bills, and pick it up in the spring.

Don........ I'll meet you in the Bahamas and we can spend the winter in the warmth of the sun.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 3.76 stroker is a good over all package.The pistons are basicly custom but Show Cars does get them from Ross.The first cam that you posted would be a torquer but not what you'd be happy with on a build such as this.That second one would be nice,just a little soft on the bottom but once past 2500-3000 hang on.Do some bowl work on those 1147's while you're,it will pay off big.

Thanks Don,
I liked the second one as well, definitely will need more compression and would like to install it straight up, with the understanding that it will soften things up more. My roadster, while a bigger flat tappet solid cam, is straight up, and super fun in the upper rpm range when uncorked.
I typically do bowl work, abbreviate, if needed, and profile the guides, and clean up obvious casting sins. Definitely keeping the tri power. Want it to appear stock and as factory as possible.
My thought on pistons was to do a complete dimensional check and rundown on the block, especially bore and deck height. To avoid decking, specify the piston compression height to create a 0 deck condition. I'll big deeper in to a piston supplier once I complete the review of the existing parts.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I LIKE your approach to getting the proper deck height! Since the pistons from Ross are "custom" anyway,square the deck then figure your needed pin height and order them that way.I think that I'd go with the 6.385 rod as well.In that heavy car I wouldn't retard the cam unless you're running something like a 4.11 gear which pretty much rules out long road trip style driving.Since all you can get for fuel out there is 91 octane and you're sticking with iron heads I wouldn't go over Jack Gibbs recommendation of 10.5-1 as he's stated that to be the "Sweet Spot"for a pump gas street W engine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The above cams while listed are not available at this time due to a shortage of cam cores brought on by this Covid mess.Howards Cams has cores for both hyd.flat and hyd.roller tappet cams.Show Cars is out of at least the 0950 and maybe more.Nobody has any idea how long it's going to take to get things back to normal but 6 months isn't out of the question.

heddrik

Well Known Member
The above cams while listed are not available at this time due to a shortage of cam cores brought on by this Covid mess.Howards Cams has cores for both hyd.flat and hyd.roller tappet cams.Show Cars is out of at least the 0950 and maybe more.Nobody has any idea how long it's going to take to get things back to normal but 6 months isn't out of the question.
Well that sucks.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
To the original post, my .02 is go for cubes. As many as you can afford. My standard bore & stroke 409/340 is out again as we speak for more cubes, and to fix a half dozen other f—k up’s.:doh:doh It ran good but, didn’t have a whole lot of bottom end. Was kinda disproportionate. Great power from 4 to 6 grand but it was workin’ to burn street tires. Hoping a longer arm will help that problem.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I talked to Comp to get the quazi cam cards I posted, had one in stock, forget which one. :doh
Snooped around Howards cams, they have one that is very close to the 282 comp. Like it better to use my 1.7 rockers. That will yield .543 and .555 lift.

https://www.howardscams.com/hydraul...evy-348409-1800-6000-howards-cams-cl131125-10