Need some product information pushrod checker

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I need to check my pushrod length for ordering a new set, both int and exh. pushrods. What is a good pushrod checker (brand) you have used to do this. Heads are 690's, solid Comp cam, Howard lifters, Crane 1.70 rockers and running 3/8 pushrods. I would like to check length with springs on, and guide plates on (motor is out, new build). Also the size of the checker, I see many 5/16 but not many made in 3/8 diameter, what diameter and adjustable length is best?
Would like to get it made in steel.....

Thanks for your help....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Lennyjay,the one that I use is sold by Power House,a division of Comp Cams,.It's 5/16 and that's all you need.Using the spring that you intend to run is not recommended by any body.Take one spring off one intake and exhaust valve and use light springs in their place for these measurements.Thesse are graduated much like a micrometer and are very accurate.I have one for the intake and another for exhaust because of the roughly .500 difference in the two.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Not sure where to start. Comp has them 5/16, and light springs. Wonder if one 8.5 to 9.8 would cover both int/exh.?

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Yes that is close, this site lists them at int 8.772 and 9.140 exh. Heads are not on so, I will pull some springs on #1, install the lights, mount the head with gasket, light bolt down, and take some measurements. If splitting hairs I will go a bit long on the pushrods. I believe you can have custom make ones made if needed. I would rather have off the shelve for replacement down the road.
Nice job on the "made my own"....I have plenty of old pushrods around....looks like you tapped the rocker side....I'm thinking......

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes that is close, this site lists them at int 8.772 and 9.140 exh. Heads are not on so, I will pull some springs on #1, install the lights, mount the head with gasket, light bolt down, and take some measurements. If splitting hairs I will go a bit long on the pushrods. I believe you can have custom make ones made if needed. I would rather have off the shelve for replacement down the road.
Nice job on the "made my own"....I have plenty of old pushrods around....looks like you tapped the rocker side....I'm thinking......
I usually get pushrods from Manley They have hundreds of lengths in stock. I try to get the heavier wall so there is less flex.