Need wiring help!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Paul! Anyone! Last fall I took some of the under dash wiring out while removing the tach harness. Didn't mark where these three connectors go. :doh The yellow or white wire (could be white and yellowed with age) coming in from the left of this picture goes behind the driver side kick panel. Anyone have any ideas where they go???

38474985_10215956404920112_8621431262218813440_n.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Behind the kick panel sounds like possibly dome light? I know they are usually white & orange. If you have a wiring diagram, you should be able to find them in that.

RussC

Well Known Member
Is the smaller of the black connectors a spade end or half of an inline fuse? What does the face of the ivory connector look like?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
That looks like a set up my 63 ss has where the wiring ties into harness behind kick panel left. It supplies power to rear of console light and dome lights on rear roof quarter dome that are controlled by door switches. Is yours is a ss ,and does it have a console light that faces rear seat???

Last edited:

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Behind the kick panel sounds like possibly dome light? I know they are usually white & orange. If you have a wiring diagram, you should be able to find them in that.
Yeah, I found the orange & white wire. I do have the 1961 service manual and the 1962 supplement, also the 62 Assembly manual. I'll go through the wiring diagrams again. Thanks Bob!

Is there a under dash courtesy light?
Yeah, one on each side that come on when you open the door. They're working.

How about backup light?
Does have back up lights. I've never used them because the switch didn't work. It's a four speed and I have a new switch which I haven't mounted on the trans or wired in yet. Thanks James!

Is the smaller of the black connectors a spade end or half of an inline fuse? What does the face of the ivory connector look like?
What appears to be the smaller of the black connectors is three connectors running straight across. It's the left most black connector in the picture below. The white wire running behind the kick panel goes into it on the far left. The white wire from the other black connector goes to the right and the green wire from the white connector to the center. Thanks Russ!

38600424_10215966168844204_3498601654045900800_n.jpg

That looks like a set up my 63 ss has where the wiring ties into harness behind kick panel left. It supplies power to rear of console light and dome lights on rear roof quarter dome that are consoled by door switches. Is yours ss ,and does it have a console light that faces rear seat???
It is an SS and does have a light on the rear of the console. I haven't checked to see if it lights when I open the door but the rear roof quarter dome lights do come on. I'll check the console. Thanks Don!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Could be. I replaced the radio with one that appears the same as the original but is AM/FM. The tuner always wandered off the station and the guy I bought it from wouldn't make good on it so I've almost never used it.