need62 327-300-carb.info

lloyd ray

:dunno :dunno Hi sure could use some good info on stock 1962 327-300 horse carb.It has powerglide with a/c on it with p.s.-p.b. With that equiptment on it ,would it have a rochester or carter carb on it?? Was told a 3310 would be the right carb for that:dunno Hope to get some good info from you good people out there.Want to keep the car as stock as possible. Thanks for any and all help I can get .:cheers

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
lloyd ray said:
:dunno :dunno Hi sure could use some good info on stock 1962 327-300 horse carb.It has powerglide with a/c on it with p.s.-p.b. With that equiptment on it ,would it have a rochester or carter carb on it?? Was told a 3310 would be the right carb for that:dunno Hope to get some good info from you good people out there.Want to keep the car as stock as possible. Thanks for any and all help I can get .:cheers

A Holley 3310 is rated 780 CFM if I remember and was originally a Z-28 carb. A 300 hp 327 may be overcarbed with such a beast unless some other mods were done. I think the 300 hp 327 came with a Roch. The Carter AFB would be a great choice and would not compromise the stock air filter housing as a Carter AVS or Holley would. The correct Carter would be a bit hard to locate. However if a Holley is desired, and keep the stock look, the 66~67 327/275 Chevelle engine used a cast iron manifold that has the Holley carb bolt pattern from the factory - thus NO adaptor. These are a bit hard to find. I'm sitting 50 feet from one right now. This intake and a Holley 650 cfm carb would give a 327 some boost without re-camming or adding headers and look danged near stock.

M

MK IISS

lloyd ray: The Carter AFB was the only, originally factory installed, carb. on the 300 horsepower 327 engine in the full size Chevrolets.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
wrench stands corrected

:takethat :takethat :takethat

:bang Oops. I thought that motor came with a Roch 4 bbl. Oh dopey me. And I 'assumed' the 3310 was the Holley I had stashed in my ancient decrepit memory banks. Ignore me Lloyd. :bang

M

MK IISS

Wrench: You were probably thinking of the 250 horsepower 327 which had either a Rochester 4GC or a Carter WCFB. There was also a Holley 3310 which was a hi-perf. dual feed carb of about 780 cfm. My 375 horsepower 396 came from the factory with a 3310 Holley.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Lloyd Ray, Make sure you get the bake-a-lite insulator and stainless steel shim for under the AFB. If you have the stock iron intake the aluminum afb will transfer the heat from the engine to the fuel VERY quickly causing fuel percolation. I think this is available reproduction from the Corvette parts guys. Also, the 300hp with your options has a special fitting in the rear of the carb. The PCV and the PB go off of it and I think there is another smaller fitting, too. I think I've got one, I'll check it out.
Ross

M

MK IISS

Going by my 1962 ordering info (early printing) the 1962 327/300 was not available with a/c.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Richard, Thats interesting. The 327-300 I had was a 4sp. car. I believe the Carter was a 3721. I was 18 at the time, and if it would have had a.c. on it, I would have yanked it off , as most 18 yr olds would. Ive seen many 327-300 s in magazines with a.c. , however I dont remember seeing one when I was young. Its simple to convert the 250 to 300, so I dont know if the magazine cars were correct or not.

M

MK IISS

Ronnie: I'm not sure what you mean. "Ive seen 327-300 s in magazines with a.c." Does this old magazine tests from back in 1962 or does it mean cars for sale now? I could be wrong about the the '62 327/300 not being available with a/c. My info is old and incomplete. I do know the '63 327/300s were available with a/c though....it was just the '62s that were not.....maybe?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey guys,
I believe it has to do with the exhaust manifolds and compressor mounting. If you ordered a 300hp 327 you got 2.5 inch exh. mans, but only with standard trans. If you ordered PG it only came with 2.0" exh. mans probably due to exhaust pipe clearance around the PG. Even the 63 Corvette 300hp with PG got 2" exh. With A/C you had to have a rh Exh. man with a mounting boss for the compressor. Until the 902 cast 2.5" man came out for the 62 300 hp Corvette, the only rh gen/compressor mounted exh man was the 2" version which was used on all V-8 Corvettes until 62. The pass cars with A/C used this same manifold for compressor mounting. Although the 902 2.5" exh man was available in 62 for rh mounting of the compressor on 300hp standard trans cars, GM apparently chose not to offer it until 63 and then only on standard trans not PG. In short, I don't believe you could get a 300hp 327 with PG and A/C in 62. Even if you could it would have had 2" exh. due to the transmission.

M

MK IISS

I looked up the 1962 327/300 suffix codes in Alan Colvin's CBTN book. There are no suffix codes for 1962 regular pass. cars with the 327/300 engine with a/c. However there are codes for the '63s.

I was always of the opinion the 327/300 powerglide cars had the smaller 2" 327/250 exhaust manifolds and pipes. I've been told by a recognized Chevrolet historian this is not true. This gentleman claims the 300 horsepower Powerglide cars also had the big 2 1/2" exhaust. This historian is pretty well known for his expertise on these cars. A year or so ago I saw an '64 Impala 327/300/Powerglide with the big exhaust. Since the car was 40yrs old I can't say it was original. Alan Colvin's book sort of indicates the Powerglide cars had the big exhaust. I say "sort of" because he is not specific abut the transmissions as he sometimes is. I no longer know what to believe on this.
However I do know this. Over the past 10 years every 327/300/Powerglide car I've seen, without exception except for the '64 I mentioned, at car shows and auction sales is really a 327/250 with 300 horse stickers on the valve covers. Real 327/300/Powerglides must be rare.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Richard, My mistake. Your post was addressing 1962 year only. The cars I referred to were mag. articles about show cars, and I was referring to 62 thru 64. Most likely the cars I noticed were 63 or 64, I just dont remember.

doc396

Well Known Member
one of my friends dad had a 62 impala 4 door with 327-300 powerglide he bought new. it had the large 2 1/2" exaust manifolds, it was factory stock. it did not have a/c though. doc

lloyd ray

327-300/carb info

Thanks folks for all the replys,sure appreciate it:clap Will check on the carb to see what it shows.Ok it has a carter AFB on alum.tag shows 3310-s # 3819207 it would appear to be orginal carb . Car has dual ex. also orginally had 2 inch manifolds,but was told that it should have 2 and a half,so had a freind that worked at Chevy dealer he found some 2 and a half that i put on the wagon,thats whats on it now Did I goof:doh in putting them on the wagon ?? Also has large core radiator,I guess for theA/C .... Ok now for a little info for you folks,I think this is a pretty rare wagon,I guess you might call it a Bubble-Top long roof. It is a BELAIR 4 door wagon with a AMBULANCE conversion on it. It has a 6 inch raised roof, with a one piece rear door !!! This was done by a company called Cotner/Bevington in Blythville, ARK. Car was bilt there on 5-3-62 Serial # on vin shows St. Louis bilt probably in April of 62 . Then shipped to Cot/Bev and they then finished on 5-3-62. They then shipped it to a small funeral home in Beaver City Ne. They were the orginal buyers. If you would like to see some pictures of my rig ,please go to www.evooa.org THat stands for Emergency Vehicle Owners & Operators Assn. go to that web site click on Denver 2005 show for some nice pictures of the meet and some very nice cars !!!! Once again thanks to all that responded:bow :bow Sure APPRECIATE all the help !!!!! Best regards Lloyd Ray

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lloyd, What a great old Chevy. Ive never seen a silver-blue ambulance, but it works good. Best of Show, cant do better than that. Congratulations on finding a rare documented 62.

lloyd ray

327-300 info

Hi guys thanks for taking the time to check out my 62 wagon,:clap :clap appreciate it!!! Was wondering if there are any more out there like mine?? Have any of you seen another one like this in your part of the country ???? If so please let me know.Again thanks to all who have responded to this post for all the leads and comments !!! Thanks for the help !!! :D :D Lloyd Ray :cheers