Negative Camber

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
OK guys, waited till I knew this answer:

"BALL JOINT SPACER SOLVED THE CAMBER PROBLEM! STILL GOING TO GO TO FRAME SHOP TO GET ALIGNMENT, BUT AS OF NOW WE ARE AT 0.00 DEG WITH THE 2" SPACER IN MY APPLICATION"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now maybe with the 2" drop AND the fact that I'm using my factory 14" wheels with the dics brakes set-up I needed 2", I don't know. AND there is still shim in the cross shaft, so I can go either positive or negative. NO frame pulling and I think I'm good.

FYI for anyone else and some good info in this thread for others too! Thanks for your inputs.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok I found out a bit more. Seems that the McGaughy spindles are shorter! My guy said that the drop spindles are "about 1/2+" shorter" then the OEM standard spindle???? BUt they "recommend" buying THEIR new EXTRA LENGTH upper A arms and cross shafts???? Seems like to can get at least 4 deg positive camber from these alone!!!! So they get you in with the cheap "kit" price but then you come to find out that you need the cross shafts AND longer A arms, which effectively doubles the price of the conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang

All this because someone made some nightmare spindle that are shorter then stock:crazy Why o why?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
They don't tell you(I guess if you don't know to ask) that the drop spindle is a change from the original.I purchased mine from the fella from isanti mn. as a 2"" drop spindle disk brake kit,w/ master cylinder.....asked if any mods or if a arms would be needed and was told ....no.....

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Update, just out of the shop for the front end. Funny the 2" spacer brought mine right into specs. Now I have no movement to adjust the one way, but I can move out towards zero if needed. Car actually runs down the road quite nice now.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just realized why they are selling a 58-64 spindle that is short, to cut cost they are using their 55-57 castings, which is a shorter spindle but otherwise the same except for ball joint hole size. So use one casting and machine ball joint hole for 58-64 instead of making a new casting and screw the customer.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ANOTHER thing just occurred to me, the people you bought the spindles from may have been the ones that just enlarged the ball joint holes on a tri-5 spindle so they wouldn't have to buy more spindles, lots of crooks out there.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Yep, thats true. Lots just looking for a fast buck. Get you in with a cheap kit price then up charge you on the rest of the stuff.