Never a Good Thing

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
TA DA.....you'd better get to work. Spring will be here in a couple months. At least it's on the together stage instead of the apart program. Do you have most of your parts?
Pulled it last weekend and dropped it off to get honed on Monday and got it back Wednesday. All parts should be here this week except main bearings. Nobody had coated H bearings so Calico had to order them in and coat them. Rings butting is why it came out. Had them gapped big at .034 but still happened. It will be going on the dyno to try and figure out why the rings are getting so hot.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
So I suppose the tight end gap messed up the ring grooves on your pistons? Cast pistons I imagine? Any ideas on the culprit? Piston rock? I had a stroker Harley back around 73 that had Dytsch cylinders and the guy used forged pistons. Was running it hard one day and the Piston swelled up and busted a cylinder at the base. Sucked because I didn't have the bank paid off yet.

Ray
I thought you had the rotating assy together and were working through your rocker problems?

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
So I suppose the tight end gap messed up the ring grooves on your pistons? Cast pistons I imagine? Any ideas on the culprit? I had a stroker Harley back around 73 that had Dytsch cylinders and the guy used forged pistons. Was running it hard one day and the Piston swelled up and busted a cylinder at the base. Sucked because I didn't have the bank paid off yet.

Ray
I thought you had the rotating assy together and were working through your rocker problems?
Engine is oil tight, new Harland Sharp rockers are in. They machined the rockers for clearance and I ran down to Strongsville and picked them up last Friday. They charged me zero for the work, I always have liked Harland Sharp, now even more. Great company.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pulled it last weekend and dropped it off to get honed on Monday and got it back Wednesday. All parts should be here this week except main bearings. Nobody had coated H bearings so Calico had to order them in and coat them. Rings butting is why it came out. Had them gapped big at .034 but still happened. It will be going on the dyno to try and figure out why the rings are getting so hot.
My rings are gapped at .018" give or take .002".

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
:doh
Engine is oil tight, new Harland Sharp rockers are in. They machined the rockers for clearance and I ran down to Strongsville and picked them up last Friday. They charged me zero for the work, I always have liked Harland Sharp, now even more. Great company.

Good deal. Great advertising. Looks like you'll have time to get it fired up and get to a T&T before BG.......:burnout

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I should be able to run .018. Everyone says detonation or lean. Yet the plugs, pistons, bearings, etc don't show any tell tale signs of detonation. I talked to Carl Mcquileen and based on what I was telling him, he was at a loss also. He said to get it on a dyno and sneak up on the tune with a blow by meter. Really a nice guy and very helpful. I had put o2 bungs and bungs for exhaust temps in the headers when I built them so I should be able to monitor things fairly well. Only 9 passes on this thing so it really stinks. Had the same issue on the last build also. I richened it up till the gains dropped off so I don't think its fuel unless there are restrictions in the carbs that won't won't allow the extra fuel to flow. Beats me.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I suppose the tight end gap messed up the ring grooves on your pistons? Cast pistons I imagine? Any ideas on the culprit? Piston rock? I had a stroker Harley back around 73 that had Dytsch cylinders and the guy used forged pistons. Was running it hard one day and the Piston swelled up and busted a cylinder at the base. Sucked because I didn't have the bank paid off yet.

Ray
Haven't seen any evidence that it hurt the piston. That's strange too. If the rings are getting so hot they butt at .034, I would think the pistons would be scuffing or something.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
How close to the top of the piston is the top ring land,Dan? You'll also have some sort of mufflers if you want to put an air fuel meter in there,Dan.O2 sensors don't like being with in less than 18 inches away from the end of the pipe.Maybe you have a little too much timing at the 4500 and above rpm range?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll talk to the dyno man and see if I need to bring some extensions for the collectors. Rings are .190 on one side and 1.175 on the other. Timing was 33 degrees. Started at 30 and the car picked up with every degree added. Timing slightly retards on this engine at rpm. Timing is locked. Fuel was C16.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Timing being locked at 30 degrees or above could be the problem. To much pressure at lower rpm stressing the piston and rings. I wouldn't time over 24 degrees under 2500 rpm even with race fuel. Try unlocking the distributor and time at 18 degrees idle 34 all in at 2600/2800 rpm. You really should be able to gap at .018" Even gapping at .018 after five or ten passes your gap will be more like .026"/.028".

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Not to show my ignorance...but what indication do you see that the rings are butting? With that gap it is hard to imagine. If the motor was that lean it would be showing up on the plugs. I would think the pistons would be scuffing. We're running ours pretty tight

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
With that much cylinder pressure because of the early fire it must be putting tremendous push on the ring towards the cylinder wall and there must be some reversion that could make it run lean at low rpm. I'm with Mr. Campbell, I'm not buying ring butt, just scuffing because of to much pressure behind the ring.