NEVER A GOOD TIME TO GET CANCER

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Found out this week my wife Sara has Breast Cancer. My wife is 35 and a distance runner in better health than anyone else I know. Now she is considered higher risk of death than most of the older folks on here that are healthy and over twice her age. I have 2 boys in diapers that have never said the word Cancer yet but its possible they will loose their mother before they are able to say the name of the disease that may kill her. We don't know what the outcome is yet but we have to fight. For those who feel the virus pandemic is a burden, keep in mind that none of you have lost your mother, father, brother, sister, wife, husband or other direct family members yet that I know of. Everyone I do know that has lost family don't care about whether they will ever get to drag race or enjoy their hobbies ever again. They all would rather have their family member back then to play. Life for every one is messed up right now but we as a whole can not loose sight of what is at stake. "...Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" begins with Life. While we are all frustrated with the current situation we must all work together in order for LIFE to continue so we may enjoy our liberties and continue to pursue happiness which being an American citizen affords us. Most of us are well aware not every human on this planet is so lucky. We will all get a chance to drag race again, we will all get to go to concerts and drink at some dive bar with our friends if we work together to make that happen. Stupid people will become dead people, do not drag down the rest of us with you. As was pointed out online by someone recently. "Every professional athlete, race car driver, movie star, TV star and famous celebrity clearly isn't necessary because doctors, nurses, teachers, truck drivers and cooks are the only thing keeping this county alive". My wife getting cancer has changed my world because I can't image what it would be like to try to explain to my boys when they get older that Mommy would have beat cancer but she picked up Corvid-19 during treatment due to stupid people that wouldn't take simple steps to curb its spread. I know you guys are all a great bunch with good intentions and we all have little bit of shit in our lives due to the virus outbreak. Whether you are religious or not, I hope you keep my young family in your prayers/thoughts. I am also hopeful that everyone, though pissed about all of the shit related to Corvid-19, can try and help make our countries current situation better by doing whatever they can to stop its spread. Someone out there can kill my wife because they are careless and indifferent to the danger Corvid-19 presents to everyone, especially cancer patients. Thanks for letting me rant about this boys. Its been a rough week because its never a good time to get cancer but this would be the absolute worst time to get it. I know many of you are in different parts of the country and Iowa actually has a relative low infection/death count so far being we have such a low population/density. I hope that plays in our favor during this cancer treatment. Take care and be safe.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this difficult time, cancer is something we all know about and it has affected all of us closely.

One thing that has happened with breast cancer is the treatments available have become much more specific to the type of cancer, they know a lot more about the variations in the disease. In the last 5 or so years I’ve had probably 10 friends and family get breast cancer and they have all been on different meds. My first cousin and her 2 daughters all got diagnosed within 6 months, her sons wife was diagnosed about 2 years before that. All these people are still doing well.

Sounds like your wife is a strong heathy young person and that gives lots of hope for her to do well with her treatment. I know each situation is unique and I hope all goes well for all of you through this trying time.

Don

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Our thoughts and prayers are with your family at this difficult time, breast cancer has a high success rate today.

I know your concerns with the covid-19 during these times.

Dear Heavenly Father please be with this Youngman's wife and family during these times and FATHER please rid his wife of this cancer and speedy recover.

And give them a full life as a family so they both can raise their two boy's.

In JESUS NAME AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Your wife is going too beat this my Friend.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Randy:

So sorry to learn of this. Stay strong, we are here for your support. Rant as much as you need, we will be here for you.

Stay optimistic, we have a great health care system with lots of talented professionals. Together you and your family can beat this challenge.

Best, TomK

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sorry to hear that Randy. Just went through a lumpectomy and 21 radiation treatments with Mary two years ago so I understand your feelings. She caught it early. What stage and would you share treatment plans for Sara? Prayers for you and your family.

Dave

Last edited:

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Unfortunately I lost dad last week to a 5 year battle with cancer so I get how it feels when a family member had it. He was in the hospital and because of lock downs couldn’t go see him because we’d put him at risk and the rest of the hospital. The last time I did see him a month ago was a lasting picture. We can’t have his funeral until all this corona stuff is done.
my point in telling you this is you’re right the covid 19 is important that we all take the steps to beat it.
treasure all your moments. Building engines, racing and fun comes second to family.
Tim

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I am so sorry for what you’re going through..... prayers and thoughts go out to you and to your family.......Your statements, your comments of your situation and your belief of how people should be reacting to COVID-19, I thought were spoken very consicely and eloquently......I will pray for you and your young family, a prayer of healing and of consideration and for people to become selfless and to think of others instead of only themselves....... I personally believe that people who aren’t self distancing and donning masks or covering up ..........are putting others at high risk and in perils way, through their recklessness..... it’s the equivalent of drunk driving .......the possibility of taking someone’s mother, wife, sister, daughter, or granddaughter ......from all of the people that love and need them most.....Stay strong and fight for your family .......... you do have support from your 409 Family ..........God bless

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keep her strong and that attitude high. It sounds wrong to say but attitude has a lot of influence on recovery. Try to think of it as a time to be strong and have faith. Remember work hard and stay positive like you do everyday and it will be easier on the whole family. As my daddy always said ( keep your chin up). Praying for a great outcome for you all.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks everyone! Cancer isn't new to any of us, its essentially a part of life but Corvid-19 isn't. The shut down of our nation and the restrictions needed to fight such a deadly virus make this much worse as Tim mentioned. We actually don't know where we stand as of today with her treatment, that is how new this is to us. They did the biopsy on the lump Last week we found and this Tuesday she will go in for an MRI to see the lump in greater detail and make sure there aren't any other masses we haven't found yet. We were told that she has some hormone and things in her blood that make this a much better situation than some others have had to deal with. My mother just went through Breast Cancer last year and she didn't have the good stuff in her blood apparently which made her treatment more difficult. How good that is, I don't know yet really because we could find out that she has cancer in a number of places Tuesday with the MRI. I had a close family friend that lost her life in 7 days after she found out she had breast cancer because her MRI showed she was terminal and would not last long. The Dr. sounds pretty upbeat and my personal Dr. also says she has everything going for her so far but there is two more tests that will take 2 weeks to get the results back on before we can do anything. They have scheduled Sara's surgery already for the beginning of May but until we get the results back from all of the testing this coming week we won't know anything really.
Thanks again guys, stay safe out there. Flynn, Felix and I are thankful for all of the support.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Man sorry to hear that :rain

Lost our 1.5 year old border collie to lymphoma last August. Had to put him down on our living room floor. Diag to death was 5 weeks. I know it’s just a dog but god—n that crushed me. Got a new respect (or lack of) for cancer.

Fwiw my foreman (forewoman??) at work is a 62 y.o. gal who beat beast cancer after about a year of chemo and radiation, about 2 years ago. It can be done. You and your wife hang tuff somehow. We’re here.