New 348 build, stroke or no stroke??? 333 heads, single notch truck block

427John

Well Known Member
Since the engine is destined for a truck which equals more weight if the budget allows a 4" stroker should give more low end torque to get it moving.

427John

Well Known Member
Don,that's actually a pretty common thing in the FE world except for the CJ,s and SCJ's most 428's(including the 67 shelby GT500)had the later smaller port heads while most 352's had the earlier large port heads,putting larger valves in them made them basically equivalent to the 427LR and 428CJ head,I think that has something to do with why the 352 was more highly regarded than the 360 even though it was just a .050 overbore that made the 360.But I get your point,I thought he was talking about upgrading the heads either by porting or going aluminum.I guess I tend to lump trucks into the same category as mine which won't see much RPM.I suppose if it is a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive and kept relatively light you would want an engine similar to what works well in B,B,I's.

Esetzer

No,that crank issue[409 crank/348 block] is a complete falsehood,and if your truck engine came with the original pan,you're good to go there as well.If you want a little better performance than this package,I know of a Lunati hyd,.roller that will fit the bill very nicely as well.
just picked up a 409 Crank. turned 10/10, Balanced. Now to just get my drop shipped rods from Eagle and my block back from the shop... :)

Esetzer

Update on the build.... Got my block back. took a bore of 60 over to clean it up (it sat for 30+ years in a barn), will order those icon forged pistons and roller cam (lunati) you spec'd out Don Jacks. also picked up another STD/STD 409 crank. will turn it to 10/10 and stroke it. Rods ordered and on hand (eagle). so just looking to get the pistons in hand from show-cars so i can have the block finish honed. once i get the pistons assy on the new rods and the crank turned, I'm building the short block. I'm lucky, the block was magnifluxed, zero issues there. I'm moving to the Bay area of California in a week, so all that work will be finished up there. I also lined up a great head shop in L.A. to do some light bowl work and port/gasket match on those 333 heads (will have 4 castings done so i have a spare set). really looking to get this one built. I plan to have it broke in on they dyno and will post the results here I hope in a few months....it works out to around 385CI. I travel 3 months at a time, twice a year out of the country for work... so it's a bear to get stuff done. just one questions Don...with the 333 heads.... larger valves? stay stock? your vote?

Esetzer

By all means! I'd say that the 2.06 intake and the 1.72 exhaust will work great with that cam and headers.
no clearnace issues if i have the heads resurfaced with those valves you think? would help a touch with the Compression ratio at least if i have that done.

Esetzer

Dropped my heads off at Valley Head Service near LA on Saturday. getting screw in rocker studs, resurfacing the heads, porting and polish the chambers with bowl work, matching the Edel. intake to them. larger Valves and seats installed. Should be done in 3 weeks with them. just had Lunati drop ship the spring kit to them. Need to find a good set of 7/16th guide plates for the push rods now.... Talked to Lunati; it's about 2-3 week lead for the cam to get cut as long as they have a "W" blank in stock. Just ordered the forged Icon pistons from Showcars. I hope that when i get back in end of Oct from the work trip to have the top end done and the short bock well on it's way once they get the pistons to finish hone the 60 over bores. its' coming together finally.

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Now what you'll have to do is call Lunati and have them grind pn 20120711[big block grind] on a W blank.It's no big deal to do and will run you just under 400.00.They also have a great price on their roller lifters[400.00] as compared to Comp and most others.It will have a noticeable idle ,much like the 0951 flat tappet,a wider,flatter torque band,and they also have an excellent dist.drive gear that you'll need as this is a steel billet cam.At 219 in.-227ex.@.050 ,it'll be strong from about 1800-5800,and would love an overdrive automatic with a 26-2800 convertor.A rear gear of 3.55-3.70 would give good mileage.This cam would be awesome with that proposed Holley TBI injection.
I just checked this cam spec card and with stock 1.7 ratio rockers exh lift will be .600 int. .584. Any issues with piston to valve contact using a 11 to 1 piston that you know of? Any fly cutting required on the piston with the .045 quench?