New 348 project

Lynn Davis

Hello Folks, as a suggestion from Ian I would like your advice on a cam for my 348. I have the block machined .30 over and have 10.5 to 1 pistons, since I found this site I have also found that I may have started a high dollar boat anchor (LOL) it looks as if my 348 is a 1958 truck block and I have to look at the heads again but my best guess is the "58" with no water around the plugs :(
Well the good part is it's going to be a driver I dont do TQ's because I like to enjoy the ride. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks again for letting me be part of this site.
Lynn

1960 Bel-Air
1939 Chevy

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello Folks, as a suggestion from Ian I would like your advice on a cam for my 348. I have the block machined .30 over and have 10.5 to 1 pistons, since I found this site I have also found that I may have started a high dollar boat anchor (LOL) it looks as if my 348 is a 1958 truck block and I have to look at the heads again but my best guess is the "58" with no water around the plugs :(
Well the good part is it's going to be a driver I dont do TQ's because I like to enjoy the ride. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks again for letting me be part of this site.
Lynn

1960 Bel-Air
1939 Chevy
What is your block casting number, date code & suffix?

Lynn Davis

I will have to look again at the #s Because what I wrote down last night doesn't make much sence Block boss at the front T204H Heads J1457 8732791 And my tri-power intake 274990 D1860 but I will look again it was getting late.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
T204H This looks to me to be Feb. 4 assembly date and H=H 1958-61 Pass. Car 250HP 348 V8
4 bbl., Turboglide
Casting on the intake should be 3749948
So if you get your casting # and date code we can determine if you have the early 58 block.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
:eek There are no "W" motor boat anchors. :eek

They are all nice, some are just nicer than others...:D Interesting info on the Sherman build 600hp early block motor should end that myth.
It would be nice to have the cooling holes, and hopefully the block doesn't have the double cut outs in the cylinder, but it would still work fine for a cruiser. Hard core race guys would walk away from it, but you're not racing.

791 heads don't have the cooling holes

Sherman engine... http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/sherman-engine-goes-to-the-track.15109/

What transmission, gear ratio, type of exhaust etc, would help make a better cam choice.