New 409 in 65 Chev

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
More pictures. How are you mounting that A/C with those cast valve covers? Are you using stock head bolts? I am running the eddy heads and had the polished version of those valve covers, however the ARP bolts were too tall for the A/C mount and the cast valve covers. What shroud are you using? Why the temp unit on the heater core lines?

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Making custom brakets little longer and taller for a/c.Shroud is a 327 cut away to look skinny. 396 shroud was 500. So cut and paint. I bought a 4 row radiator years ago for my other 409 but i bought the wrong one. It had trans cooling lines to radiator. Back in the box no exchage by OEM saw scratch marks so they thought i installed it. 4 years later take it out of box and the filler hole got crushed into the top of the radiator $190 later radiator shop repairs it.im going to use both the idiot's dash lights and guages under the dash so i have duplicate lines for oil pressure engine temp and electric charging.

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Driver's side valve cover modified so power booster would fit. Carb riser so carter carb would fit special engine mounts 1/2 inch shorter to clear 65 409 manifolds from steering gear very tight with 409 motor. Rebuilt powerglide with corvette parts inside marched up well to 409 but needed a 396 cover over torque converter. 327 rubbed.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will look for the assembly manual pic of the 65 A/C mounting bracket, however the problem I had with those cast covers which I like so much, is the A/C bracket mounts under the head bolt. That bolt would not allow the valve covers to seat. I could have shaved down the ARP bolt, however I just chose to use the chrome covers instead.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I had Zero isssues with 65 manifolds either. Tight dropping it in and power steering lines had to be adjusted but otherwise everything fit good needed longer hoses etc from the 327 but that’s expected. Used normal motor mounts on the engine block. Left the 327 stands on the engine crossmember.

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
I'm at times concerned about space between things because of scratched knuckles so for me a little here a little there makes for happy future repairs. i think because the car now has disc front brakes and dual master cylinder the area was tighter than stock.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Michael, I just put this is a 66 with a dual master cylinder, same as Jeff’s 65. I’m not sure you’re going to avoid the knuckle problem! Lol

Attachments

• F97C122D-4A87-4674-AAD8-23A47DD87D32.jpeg
    F97C122D-4A87-4674-AAD8-23A47DD87D32.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 29