New 6 Cylinder Engine Project

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's my new engine project that I acquired at an auction last weekend. It's only a 6 cylinder so I know you guys will not be very exited but it has 520 cubic inches and 285 shaft HP. The pistons are 5.25 and has a 4.0 inch stroke and fuel injected. If all goes well it will go in my 46 Navion.
It was listed as "crash damaged, burned" It is exactly what I was looking for. I looked it over very good and determined that it was not crash damaged and not burned, although covered with soot. there was no melted plastic or rubber and the soot washed right off. I'm convinced it was near a fire but not directly exposed to it. Anyway, it is about $6,000 to $7,000 core and if I traded it in to Continental for a new $36,000 engine it would be worth a $14k exchange value.
I paid $900 beating out the engine shop guys who didn't look it over very good.
I'm a happy camper. Now to start spending the bucks on the overhaul.

20180227_135956_resized_1.jpg

20180222_144753_resized.jpg

20180227_140031_resized.jpg20180222_144753_resized.jpg20180227_140031_resized.jpg

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Cecil, I tried to talk Deb into letting me buy a 1972 Cessna 150 yesterday but she was pretty stubborn. That's why we ended up with another Corvette. You'd think they would have given you a nicer pallet for that much money.
Seriously, congratulations on your good find, hope it goes to a worthy project.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, I tried to talk Deb into letting me buy a 1972 Cessna 150 yesterday but she was pretty stubborn. That's why we ended up with another Corvette. You'd think they would have given you a nicer pallet for that much money.
Seriously, congratulations on your good find, hope it goes to a worthy project.
I think she's the smart one Mearl. What would you do with a 150 anyway? I can hardly fit in one.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What kind of fuel injection do they use on an engine like this?
It was all carburetors on the plans with gas engines when I worked at the airport.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Seems very similar in theory. I've thought about trying to adapt this to a v-8 but not sure it would work without a lot of modification. Aircraft engine only goes to about 2700 rpm max so it may not have the capability for the higher rpms on the car engines. You guys are way smarter about that kind of stuff than I am.