New build 62 Impala SS

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
cecil i would love to. but i have one vehicle that i drive as much as i can. no room for another or cash.
that is why i sold a documented 63 ss impala w. i believe it went to arizona. jim

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im back with more mystery on the 62SS car, actually its not from this car but a part a bought from another guy to use in my Bubble top car. This is a drive shaft that was suppose to be out of an impala, 3 spd car. I need a little help from u's guys. Im sending pictures to help, with lengths of the pieces.
thanks for the help, im already starting to laugh, because I know this is going to be a funny one.
I must be missing a part? dah... the drive shaft that has the spine end has a machined place for a bolt to be threaded into. ? And how does the retainer fit onto the shaft, it surely (Shirley) isn't big enough to fit over it. thanks cash. :crazy000_0202.jpg

000_0203.jpg

000_0204.jpg

000_0205.jpg

000_0206.jpg

cash

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like you are missing two thin washers(they go on either side of the carrier bearing), the splined yoke and the bolt/washer, oh, and a u-joint. The carrier bearing presses over the splines with the washers on either side, then the yoke presses on the splines followed by the bolt/ washer. The two shafts are connected by a u-joint. I hope that is the information you're looking for.

P.S., make sure you phase the shafts properly.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Another question If I may, I must have used the spline I had on the bubble top, so is there a special spline to get or can you find one in a junk yard, are they interchangeable with other splines? thanks for the help. The picture was a great help also...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
You need a coarse spline yoke. Find out the measurement on your front shaft to make certain It's for a 3-speed. All 3 front shafts have different lengths. Don't assemble yours and have it balanced without checking if the front shaft is correct for your application.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just so you guys don't think I've lost my touch at being (machanically stupid), I've been working on finishing up my engine in the frame, I've got to the point where Im working on the steering. I have
power steering, it came on the car, all except the pump, and it came separate, with all the braces.
After taking pictures of it together, I cleaned it all up, painted it. and started to assemble it back together. Had the generator rebuilt, got a new pump pulley, and did what most amateurs might do.
Read up on who to install PS. I looked at video's, read the manual, asked questions, spent at least,
a week or more trying to figure out how to install the pump to the motor with the braces I had.
There were the normal ones I could figure out, the bottom one that holds the pump to the block. The side ones, Diamond shaped that hold that brace to the pump with spacers. ok... im doing good for now. I have a long brace to hook up to adjust tension, right. Here's the 7-10 day part that I could not figure where it went. ? I would not give up... so what did I do? yep... I called Paul. Here's the part.
You tell me where it goes. :dunno the red one.? Or should this be in the Name this part?

Attachments

• s-l275.jpg
    s-l275.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 39

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The lower red bracket is the wrong bracket for 62 283 and 327 motors with factory PS. The upper one should work fine to the top of the alternator.
I am going to take pictures and post them in the next hour of my 327 and the brackets
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
here are the pictures on my 1962 Chevy 327 motor of factory power steering brackets with a factory alternator.IMG_0006-002.JPGIMG_0009-003.JPGIMG_0010-003.JPGIMG_0011-002.JPGIMG_0013-003.JPG

Also pictures "on the floor" of the brackets for Power steering(missing two brackets for the hoses) and the correct bracket for the back of the motor "off the car" including the last picture showing the correct bracket on the back of a original PS pump
Sorry for all the grease on the brackets on the floor pictures.
Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Paul, Im running a generator so that bracket is different. I have all of them except for the bracket part that goes to the back of the pump with adjuster, also the aluminum connector part, does that connect to the large outlet on the back of the pump and go where?.
If you like you can send them along with the yoke. :dance3

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sounds like you had a great time. This is a great video on rebuilding carbs, Mikes Carbs, come to find out his shop is where my parents were from Chahelis Wa. only about 90 miles from here.
hqdefault.jpg
hope this works.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi guys, back again with the SS car stuff. Im wondering if someone could help me with the acc : info. at the top of the plate it says, 03D, I assume that's the date of the car.
I've also noticed on some cowl tags the # at the top are like mine, some are 2 digits 7C, is having the 0 in front of the number have a meaning?
acc: 30. EZI SS. This is where I can't find out what the 30 stands for?

One other question, a friend has a cowl tag, on the right side, he has two numbers on the outside of the small framing, running horizontally,
2 & 8. Has anyone knowledge of this? thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 100_3674.jpg
    100_3674.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
03D = 3rd month (62) March 4th week (D) =week car was built
7C = August (7month) 1962 C= 3rd week --car was built in the 3rd week of August 1962

A 11D is November 1961 -4 week for example

The 0 in front did not make a difference in the month the car was built from the over 100 tags I have seen over the years.

As to ACC. -every plant made different codes for ACC is my understanding
There are 2 guys on Chevy Talk and maybe some here that will try to decode ACC but only in private e-mails.
The 2 and 8 are the same -in a private e-mail I think.
All of this related to cloning cars with repro cowl tags..

Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi guys, another quick question, are the 1963 Impala rear trunk brace, the long one under rear trunk floor, are they the same as the
1962 brace?. As usual mine are rusted out the last 12" on each side, has anyone ever tried to splice a section from a donor car into this area.? The section is right where the rotisserie is hooked up to. I know you can buy this piece around 100 bucks, just curious . thanks stan...000_0201.jpg