New build 62 Impala SS

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm still at it, haven't finished the rockers yet but have made some progress. I had cut out the rear section on the back seat right at the brace area, and at the section that attaches to the back seat. When doing this I drilled through the metal leaving holes, so I had to replace this with a 1" piece of metal across the back seat area. Turned out good, but then when trying to install the floor section back in, the what I call
side ears, on each side, that attach to the inner fender was a problem. So I decided to remove the inner
fender well on the gas tank side, I had all ready bought these as I knew they needed replaced. Let me tell you, this is a job for Professionals, not me. BUT, I started it, so ....
knew that spot welds had to be found and removed, but that is easier said than done. Its been a real Bitch, not really knowing how its attached
is not a good thing. After about a week of drill, cutting, I finally removed the whole wheel well from the
quarter panel to the inside frame work. What a mess I got my self into. I'll have to do some welding to
fix some of the braces I have cut that holds the panel in place. What a learning experience its been
or nightmare?:yikes:scared2100_0070.jpeg100_0069.jpeg100_0068.jpeg100_0067.jpeg100_0063.jpeg100_0062.jpeg100_0061.jpeg100_0060.jpeg000_0024.jpeg000_0023.jpeg

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The rear fender housing is I believe a (2) part section, outer and inner.
Mine like many was rusted at the fender well, so I bought both the panels needed. The main problem is I had no idea of how they were
attached except I knew they were spot welded, as I could see all of the weld marks. I did not know what the bracing looked like under neath the panels, that would have been really nice to know before hand.

As they don't make the piece for the upper inner rear fender that I cut out, which I shouldn't have. I now have to try and piece back the pieces i saved to make a patch panel and hope it works. This is where beginners like myself get into trouble, they don't really know what to take off, and how much of the part to take off or leave on, to get the job done right. I have had a lot of help from Jim and Dennis Bupp and others, which really helps, and the many good natured humorous comments from yo'all. blkblk63. said, it looked Iike i was having fun!
well, Im not sure that is what I would calls it, but it is something to do.
Learning as I go. 348-409 school #101. cash

bubpletop62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well Stan, since I went thru this exact thing on my Belair some time ago, you have two choices:
1. Find a rust free rear inner wheel housing (?) good luck.
2. Piece-meal patches.
Either way, it is a LOT of work up in there.

Now, the wheel well lip. Bad design by GM. Water collects btwn wheel housing and quarter lip. ALWAYS will rust since water collects there. Again, piece-meal or rust-free qtr(?) section.

You’re looking good. We just have to keep at it. Be creative. Remember, one small victory at a time. Now go take a break and pedal-to-the-metal in your 409 bubbletop!!!!

Dennis Bubp

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The rear fender housing is I believe a (2) part section, outer and inner.
Mine like many was rusted at the fender well, so I bought both the panels needed. The main problem is I had no idea of how they were
attached except I knew they were spot welded, as I could see all of the weld marks. I did not know what the bracing looked like under neath the panels, that would have been really nice to know before hand.

As they don't make the piece for the upper inner rear fender that I cut out, which I shouldn't have. I now have to try and piece back the pieces i saved to make a patch panel and hope it works. This is where beginners like myself get into trouble, they don't really know what to take off, and how much of the part to take off or leave on, to get the job done right. I have had a lot of help from Jim and Dennis Bupp and others, which really helps, and the many good natured humorous comments from yo'all. blkblk63. said, it looked Iike i was having fun!
well, Im not sure that is what I would calls it, but it is something to do.
Learning as I go. 348-409 school #101. cash
Stan,

You might want to check out Fitzee"s Fabrications on You Tube. All the guy does is repair rusted out panels on cars. He makes all of his patches and gives good step by step instructions. It might give you some ideas and inspiration.