New Drag Strip -Onawa, Iowa opens October 14, 2017

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a link to our new drag strip opening in Onawa Iowa by the Onawa Racing Assn. Inc..
They are having a open house for anyone in the area on October 14, 2017. The track is about 5o miles north of Omaha Nebraska and 30 miles south of Sioux City, Iowa just a few miles off I-29. All paved access to the track for racers. Entrance is just south of Onawa, Iowa off K-45. Onawa is only 1 miles off I-29.

They are still selling shares in the track for $ 1000 a share(they have sold $ 220,000 of shares ) and they got $ 500,000 from the City of Onawa. They have a 25 year lease for the closed airport runway (that was paved in the 1990's).

See this link to the event.
http://www.onawaracing.com/featured/event-set-saturday-october-14/

check the other construction pictures/improvements on the web site.

This 3500 ft long 54 ft wide concrete strip (starting at 1/8 mile) opens to a full season in 2018.
The track has been diamond ground for 1/4 mile racing. I found the diamond grinding contractor for the track board members.

The new Asphalt return road and 8 lane staging lanes shown with pictures on the web site was designed by me.

I know Phil -we need a 348/409 event. We will see.
I am running my 62 SS 409 Hardtop on October 14th, down the track
Any other members or interested drag racers in the area stop by and run there cars. Rain date is October 15th.

Paul Stensland

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sounds like you were insturmental in getting this done Paul.

Definitely need this track on the agenda for 2018.

I can check out the school I helped tuck point in Onawa back in 1966. Rode out there in the back of an international pickup truck.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Paul

I read in a couple places "street legal cars." I've been to the drive in cruise night here in town with my slicks on and no mufflers. Must have been street legal as I didn't get a ticket. Your thoughts on what they will allow at the track?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So mad I missed this post. The track is just north of my wife's parent's house. You name the weekend and I'll bring the 9 passenger out for some runs. There needs to be a 348-409 shoot out. I'll get the new track on our webpage asap. Www.motormagic.info

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
They are still planning a spring opening. I think they are about 95 % ready.

They had a good turn out for the October 14th open house. No racing -they parked everyone on the track and had the event in their new 150 by 60 foot Event Center building.
Their 18 by 18 - 2 story timing tower is up, barrier rail in place (54/55 ft wide racing surface). They diamond ground the concrete runway for 1/4 mile (total length of 1990's concrete paved runway is 3500 ft). The track is really, really smooth..... at 70 MPH in my truck.

They are starting with 1/8 mile racing. The asphalt return road and 8 lane 270 feet long staging lanes are done (from my design) in asphalt. They have 260 ft of 10 row aluminum bleachers with a front walkway to put up and some 6 ft chain link fence to put up. They were purchasing a timing system and lights. I think they plan on having lights for the track to run at night. I provided the Engineering plan for all their layout(s).
They hired a guy/group to run the track who has previously run drag strips(Scott Gardner)

Yes we need to have a 348/409 event there maybe this year. I have a pit pass for me and my car forever.

Here is their web site
http://www.onawaracing.com/

Paul

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Phil: Your gonna need a car as well as those other outstanding attributes :).

Onawa is about 6 hours from us, so pick a date or two and let's see who can attend. Could be a fun time!

TomK