New eBay Rules..

Junky

Well Known Member
Just got the new eBay rules for January 1, 2021.. They are doing away with PayPal completely from the looks of it. They are instituting a managed payment system, where they will be collecting the money from the sale, and when you ship the item, upload the tracking information, they will then put the money into your bank account, less the selling fees. They also want your date of birth and your social security number. They do give you some examples of how the fees will effect you, but showing what a previous sale that you made will cost using the new fees. It is 10% of the selling price, and there is no information about how the shipping fees will be handled. Living in CT on the MA border, and previously having a MA post office address associated with my account, I learned a few years ago that MA was requiring a 1099 from PayPal / eBay for all sales, irregardless of the dollar amount. I dodged that bullet by providing proof of CT residency. I am thinking that was a harbinger of things to come, and that now all states with a state income tax are going to also be requiring a 1099 in the very near future. The states are desperate for cash, especially since tax revenues are down because of Covid 19. I never sold much on eBay in the past, so giving it up will not be a problem for me. I do now that this is going to kick a lot of people in the mouth, since they are dependant on those eBay sales to supplement their income. I also got a notice from PayPal, that all payments for purchases on eBay will now only reflect the eBay name, and not show the sellers name. With eBay controlling payments, I can see this becoming a real cluster f**k real quickly. When eBay spun off PayPal and the 3 year contractual agreement ended, they tried to create another payment system, and it quickly feel on its face and was dropped. I had regretted selling my eBay stock a few years ago, and I think that now might be when eBay stock starts to fall into the abyss, because of falling sales volume. Only the Chinese companies will be selling on eBay.

https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html

62BillT

Well Known Member
And to think, that I just quit Paypal at 2.9%, lol. Although I didn't like their fees, it was there incompetence that made me give up on them. They also taught me a new rule that I now go by. Don't give anyone your Social Security Number who will not answer a Phone Call. Will E-bay let you call them with no hassles? Besides E-bays new ridiculous fees, that are not only comical, but a sure no-go for me.

Last edited:

62BillT

Well Known Member
example

Total sales (Includes taxes)

$520.00

Selling costs

$79.35...15.3% of your total sales

Net sales (Net of taxes and selling costs) $440.65

That was another thing that I didn't like about Paypal. You sell a $100 Part and it costs $100 to ship it, you end up paying fees on the whole $200.

No thanks.

Now with the new E-bay Fees ??

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hopefully this will bring back swap meets, and real stores again. Buying on Ebay is no different and in fact is more expensive. Kind of like buying spark plugs at Barrett Jackson. The house always wins. Screw Ebay. Screw the states. In Illinois it probably goes into some unreported slush fund.

Junky

Well Known Member
Never liked the problems I had with PayPal. Always wanted to see them fail. Not much better feelings for Ebay. Hopefully something better will come along.

I differentiate between when PayPal was a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay, vs. now that they don't answer to eBay, and can do things the way that they want. My experiences with PayPal have been noting but spectacular since the break up. It reminds me of a good friend that gets married and the new wife runs his life, until he gets fed up with it, and divorces her, and then he returns to his old friends, and it back to his good old self.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The major issues I had with Paypal were around 2012. Had my account for more than 10 years. Purchased and sold here and there. PayPal and Ebay screwed me until I told them to get F'd and went to my CC company. They then wanted to help. I told the :finger2 I didn't need their help. It wasn't a question of if I was right or wrong. I paid, I never got the product, the guy never produced the product, the guy had major issues including with DA in his area. So Ebay and PayPal can fail in my book. They chose to side with whom they believed would give them more revenue than what was legal, or right until someone with enough power stepped in.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I recently bought an intake[eddie small port 2x4 ]from a fellow member thru Pay Pal .When going to pay for it I nothiced that they've either removed the "FRIENDS AND FAMILY"discount or hid it somewhere so I didn't see it.This means that the seller[great guy] lost nearly 15.00 on this part.I offered to make it up especially since his price including shipping.He declined the extra payment,but I don't think that I'll be using Pay Pal much more at least to fellow members.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Had my account for more than 10 years.

I only lasted 2 months, lol. After avoiding them for 19 years, I decided to get it. Problems from the beginning. I don't bank online. That was a problem and I worked it out. I have a Land Line and can't receive a Text. That was another problem and I worked out. Finally get the account, everything seems fine. I go to use Friends and Family and it wouldn't let me. Said they needed some more info from me. I gave them more. Not good enough. Now they want my SSN. I tried calling them to work it out, they don't answer the phone. Have to use their sub-standard Message Board. After numerous back and forth messages through the whole thing, I came to the conclusion that it is run by a bunch of clowns. Lost my confidence with them and decided that they are not getting my SSN. And more importantly, if they wanted my SSN, why didn't they just ask for it in the first place!!

Then I decided the heck with Friends and Family, I don't need it and I'll just continue on without it. Then, I go to transfer some built up money into my checking account and they Blocked it. That did it for me. I wanted out. I found a way to get my money transferred, brought it down to Zero and I closed the account. Turned out to be a big waste of time.

bobs409

Administrator
I HATE having to deal with any of them but have no choice. Ebay forced the managed payments thing on me about a month or so ago. I find it all but impossible to keep track of things now so I don't know if they are paying me the right amount or stealing from me. It's hard to figure out and keep a watch on things.

Not even sure about tax time! That's bad enough normally, now I'm thinking it will be a nightmare making sure I have everything.

ebay is never happy unless they are changing something! It always amazes me how they keep coming up with ways to get more money from all of us too!

Last edited:

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well I'm old now and at the end of my car hobby as far as acquiring stuff so this is happening at just the right time for me. Ebay has been a boon IMHO because you could find stuff on there you would never be able to find otherwise; impossible to crawl EVERY yard in the country or go to EVERY swap nationwide - just put a search for it on ebay and sooner or later a nice one will pop up. But this will do it for me I'll quit ebay and paypal both.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I recently bought an intake[eddie small port 2x4 ]from a fellow member thru Pay Pal .When going to pay for it I nothiced that they've either removed the "FRIENDS AND FAMILY"discount or hid it somewhere so I didn't see it.This means that the seller[great guy] lost nearly 15.00 on this part.I offered to make it up especially since his price including shipping.He declined the extra payment,but I don't think that I'll be using Pay Pal much more at least to fellow members.

PayPal still has the "Friends and Family".

How do I know? Against my better judgment, I recently (last month) sent a payment for a part using it instead of the "Goods and Services" that I've always used before because I was trying to be a nice guy. Got scammed (part never sent, seller has stopped responding and disappeared) and PayPal offers zero recourse for money sent as F&F. I don't remember the option being hidden, although I was using the iPhone app instead of the website.

Moral of story? Never use F&F unless you are actually friends or family with the recipient.

Aside from the fees, which I consider part of the cost of the convenience and in some ways security, I've never had a problem with eBay or PayPal themselves. :dunno

GreenEyez93274

Well Known Member
I use PayPal for various transactions from selling stuff to receiving money. I used F&F with one bad incident but was lucky enough to get my money back.
Their others ways to move money around via Cashapp or Venmo. There always new companies or ways with out paying fees that most companies are charging now because they want more.