New forum, please read:

bobs409

Administrator
Welcome to the NEW member builds & projects forum! Here our members will be able to share their special car & truck builds with full descriptions and photos as they progress. This will be like a “tutorial” or “story book” of your restorations & projects.

Anyone is welcome to reply to someone’s thread to ask a quick question or give congrats however to keep things clean & organized, please do not post any pictures or get off topic in any of the build threads.

To get things started off and to provide an example, I did a write up on my latest 69 Chevy wrecker project this morning which I will be posting. The nice thing is you can post your build whether you’re just getting started like I am, in the middle or completely done with your project. Just add to it as you go along.

This is your chance to “brag” about your car or truck so be informative! You’re the boss. Provide lots of pictures and detailed descriptions of your experiences.

P.S. Over the years, some may have posted similar build threads and they are floating around somewhere on our forum. If you know of any and want yours moved to this new section, just contact me with the URL or title name and I’ll be happy to get it moved over for you.

Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
As opposed to?

Great idea! I like it!

Being a project guy myself, it's great to have a single location four such activity. I laughed when I noted DQs comment on "being in one place". That's the last thing my projects are, they are more like "all over the place" :). Some here, some there, another in a different zipcode, that sort of thing. For example, my 1961 Belair Sport Coupe is sitting under a tarp out at the Condos, it's engine is down the basement, the seats and interior are 32 miles away in a barn. You get the picture.

Eventually they all make it back together again, but it takes hours of effort and years of patience :).

Good luck to all you who take on such projects. We can't all be like Jim and Jim up in Canada, and now Brian in Dallas (actually Denton, TX) where they actually can accomplish massive amounts of sequential tasks in less than one racing season :).

Cheers!
TomK

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Picture1121.jpg

Upload everything to Photobucket. Then when posting reply here, use the little tree icon, and paste the "direct link" from Photobucket in there. You can do up to 20 pictures in one shot. Photobucket will resize automatically. Decent size pictures for viewing as well.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Bob
Would you please try to find my old string "409 in a 35 chevy" and post it here , I have progress to add and it wouldmake more sense with the old string.
Thanks
Big Jim

Mister409

Hi 409'ers, I am new to your forum and am really not good with the computer as you will soon find out.
I'm a friend of Butch Schultz, and a previous owner of his car. It has been great getting to be part
of the rebuild story and to work on the car. It is so crazy to have ran across the 6l' again after all the years
and to become good friends with Butch and Debbie. I hope that some of you can also experience something
like this. My handle (Mister 409) came from the days Buck Burton and I raced the car at Balboa Park in Eugene Oregon 1966 ,67. I do have a 6l now that I am cloning Butch's car. It has the engine that Butch used to race and will look alot like the ole 61, hope to get it done one of these days. Thank you, for your time, I can talk 409's any time, also I have some 348'..... Glenn Larson..

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey bob still learning how to manuvre:scratch thru the site hope to be posting a project real soon (409 build) great site alot of good help
i just became a supporting member, i encourage everyone that checks this site out to help keep it alive and growing by becoming a supporting member thank you

martin

Wayne Grigry

Hello to all ,Im also new and not familiar at this time with forum. I m putting a 409 engine built by sunset performance bored and stroked to 481 cu in 530 HP in a 1964 Malibu SS when I ran into
exhaust manifold problem. Does anyone know if the 1965 impala exhaust manifolds will fit
thanks for your replys I can have headers built for around 5 to 7k but I think that's a bit much

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site Wayne!:welcome2

I'm not familiar with the '64 Malibu frame configuration, but someone here should be able to help.

bobs409

Administrator
Hello to all ,Im also new and not familiar at this time with forum. I m putting a 409 engine built by sunset performance bored and stroked to 481 cu in 530 HP in a 1964 Malibu SS when I ran into
exhaust manifold problem. Does anyone know if the 1965 impala exhaust manifolds will fit
thanks for your replys I can have headers built for around 5 to 7k but I think that's a bit much

Welcome Wayne. I tried those when I put a 409 in my 66 Chevelle but no good. I had a guy build a set of headers on the car. He had a side business doing race car headers and customs jobs like my situation.

Had mine done in steel for $550 plus tax. Stainless would have been about $400 more. Whoever gave you that quote is trying to retire on your dime! :no

T-P Auto

Hello;
I just found your site.
Great info;
I just got my first 348 in several years.
Had one back in the 70s.
My question is which flex plate will I need to fit a 350/400 auto to the motor.
The motor come with a std flywheel.
I have ck Auto Zone n O'Reilly
Nether have a listing for a flex plate.
I'm thinking a 454 flex plate might work.

Thanks;
T-P Auto
Tim

T-P Auto

Don;

Thanks for the info.
This 348 come complete;
carb, dist, exhaust manifolds w turn down pipes water pump, fuel pump n coil.
I have turned it over by hand a full turn,
Thinking about try to start it on the ground once I get the flywheel n starter.
Just would love to hear her roar. ! ! !
Before I take it apart n rebuild it back stock;
A Question; Is the dist shaft the same as a 350 chevy?
Would like to run HEI in place of POINTS.

T-P Auto
Tim

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No sir,they are not.There are companies that make Hei's for the W engines,the only American made one is from Davis Unified Distributors[DUI].Show Cars also sell a "sleeve" that allows a typical SB/BB dist. in one of these engines.A much better running engine can be had by using some up grades.