New fuel pump, causing Flooding

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did find one in Little Rock, AK it can be here Wednesday, they will refund the money towards the Edelbrock, which is $133, the Percision was $58.

So thats better than a kick in the butt , I'll go that route.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
After you install it,check the out put pressure before you hook it up to the carb is all I've got to say.Have the regulator ready.It seem that the days of going down to the parts house,buying a new pump,installing it and it being right or even "good enough"may be over.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
After you install it,check the out put pressure before you hook it up to the carb is all I've got to say.Have the regulator ready.It seem that the days of going down to the parts house,buying a new pump,installing it and it being right or even "good enough"may be over.

Thanks Don

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think I read on a NAPA site the original was only rated at 26GPH, so a 50 or 110 GPH should be good enough to cover the spread/needed pressure.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've used the Holley and Edelbrock 100-130 gph pumps pretty much interchangeably on basic street stuff with no problems ever. I don't care for the chrome, but that's what you get. I almost always run a regulator of some kind. But it does matter, again dig up the Engine Masters comparison of cheapo rebuilds Season 4, episode 9.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's just a different thing now.I can remember that may be 8-10 years back you'd spend 6-800 dollars on a NEW stroker crank[that problem seems to be fixed now] and then you got to spend MORE money to have the rod journals .010 just to correct a taper condition that shouldn't have ever been there in the first place.Be prepaired to check everything,assume nothing.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have to order the Edelbrock 1721 by 4 pm to get it Wednesday, so they had already brought the replacement Precision pump in, I just put it on and am getting ready to test be back soon with results.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My understanding if a fuel filter is working proper it won't fill completely with fuel. If you notice it filling completely then the filter is getting stopped up.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
UPDATE:
Its running @ 6 PSI at idle just fine, BUT if you mash the pedal or put it under load, the clear in line fuel filter runs dry or almost dry, it falls on its face then dies, so NOT ENOUGH fuel being delivered now, these aftermarket Precision fuel pumps are crap.

One thing for sure I was joking with Don about, I have gotten pretty damn fast at changing them now, ( Red Sticky grease is my friend for the fuel pushrod) but hey I am done with practicing.

I ordered the Edelbrock 1721, it will be here Wednesday, its three times the price, but hey if it works with the new AVS2 1609 carb then I am happy.

The average guy like me does not know any better, I am not a race engine guy, so I think if I ordered the right part it should complete the repair properly BUT IT DOES NOT..
Thanks to this group/forum, I have learned some valuable things, such as pressure testing, not just at idle but at load as well.

I could not imagine my motor running that lean all the time, starving for fuel could not be good on the engine to run lean/starving for fuel.
I am visioning pistons and all sorts of issues, basically trying to run under a load with vapors. me o my.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My understanding if a fuel filter is working proper it won't fill completely with fuel. If you notice it filling completely then the filter is getting stopped up.

I could agree with that, thank you.... BUT when I put the system under a load I watch it goes to no fuel and a vapor. So this is the working the bugs out part I keep hearing about, lol

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So are you sure your supply to the pump is good?

I would say yes to that.

Reasons:

original fuel pump, ran awesome, crisp, responsive, didn’t miss a beat.

2 nd fuel pump @ 23-27 psi sent to much fuel to carb.

3rd fuel pump could not keep up other than @ idle.

the edelbrock pump being sent, is the very same specs as the original, so that will be the deciding answer to that question.
Although I am comfortable with saying I feel good about how it will do with the new pump

also brand new tank, new fuel lines, new sending unit, everything is new/ with proven flow.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Your car has been setting, could be that crap from the supply line has caused a problem :dunno2
Could be that crap has gotten into the check valves on the replacement pumps and caused a problem.