New guy from California

Jason Perry

New guy here from Sacramento. Going to be asking a lot of questions and needing A LOT of help.
Recently picked up a 62 SS Impala with a 409/4 speed conversion that is turning into a real nightmare.
Linkage has been a headache since day 1 - The drive home.
I'm in over my head the wife is PISSED should be a fun summer!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome!!!!!!
Describe your problems and wait for Dr. Don, Dr. Dan, and a whole bunch of guys in ER!!!!!! Can't be so bad that you can't make Mama happy!!!!!!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
welcome to the site...we can help make peace.

I have done a number of 4 speed conversions and sold parts for full conversions.
If parts are mixed from other years you can have problems. 62 parts pedals are a one year only
Upper and lower rods if mixed from other years can be a problem. Wrong clutch forks can be a problem
Pictures of the linkage -under the hood and the lower linkage and the clutch and brake pedals (under the dash) -if I see what you have
I bet I can tell what you need.
I have pictures of the correct 62 linkage I can post tonight.

Paul

Jason Perry

So here is my sad story...
Bought the car off EBay - Guy said it was fresh rebuild rock solid. Pick it up and drive it home.

We show up and the monster is about 1 inch too wide for the trailer we brought, So drive it home it is...175 miles.
Shifting was a little tight and 3rd was a scratcher. After about 2/3rds the way home shifting is starting to get really hard - petal to the floor not really going into gear. Make a pit stop - Cant get into reverse to save my life. Make it to my driveway and it completely craps out.
I cannot get into any gear. When I try so start it in 1st with the pedal to the floor its jumping...Clutch is not disengaging.

Needless to say...I'm super pissed and frustrated. Not really knowing the 409 and the 4 speed, I take it to a reputable tranny shop here in Sac.
They tell me the following: Throw out bearing broken, Clutch fork broken, Fly wheel run out, 3rd gear syncro issues and Hurst shifter not adjusted correctly.

They replace the clutch with a LUK 11 clutch, clean up the shifter issues and run out on the fly wheel. Take it for a test drive.
Clutch wont fully disengage - Similar problem to what Speed Racer had - I've been internet searching the problem.

They look at the Linkage and according to them - Garage job, looks like its kind of pieced/welded together??
A restore shop/builder they know looks at it and is recommending finding all 62 correct parts - which I agree with, since we have no clue whats in there now.

The tranny shop has gone through everything from the clutch back and they say it all looks good now with no issues.

I don't have any pictures as its still at the tranny shop. I imagine that everything he did was pieced together and not correct for the 62.

On the positive side - Guys were waving and given me thumbs up the whole way home and the ladies were honking and smiling.
The wife is pissed for a whole other set of issues about buying the car...

Jason Perry

Jason,
I post some pictures of the 62 linkage (or send them to you e-mail -so you can print them)
There are 2 options on the lower linkage to get the clutch to release. I have used both of them on my
62's to get the clutch to release and work properly.
Paul

Thanks, yes please send them over.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the original 62 clutch and brake pedals (without the under dash brace) on the table pictures.
Includes a original bell housing, the firewall and under dash seals, the upper push rod and the lower non threaded push rod with a pin.
Note the clutch fork on the table that is an original fork.
There is another clutch fork and a lower threaded rod (not pictured ) that will work.
62 clutch stuff.jpg62 clutch stuff-4.jpg
Paul

wristpin

Well Known Member
Welcome. Looking foreward to pictures of your '62. These guys can help you figure out your issues. They are amazing in these classics. Dont ask them about women tho. They are clueless there.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a picture of the correct pedals and one of the correct Z bar and upper and lower linkage. with the original clutch fork.
There is a welded to the frame bracket in the 2nd picture that supports the Z bar and the Z bar mounting kit.DSCN7585.JPGDSCN7586.JPG
Paul