New guy from central Texas

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome Jed glad to have another Texan here. I grew up in Austin and retired to Hamilton, Tx (think intersection of Hwy 281 and Hwy 36. Like Randy, spent many, many hours at the old Alamo Dragway. If you need mechine work done when you get a engine, I have someone I have used for over 30 years on 348/409s in Austin. Randy (Austin Bubbletop) uses him also. Good luck on your build.:burnout

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome John...
Another Texan here....Grew up in Valley Mills, up north of you....am north of Ft.Worth right now....great people here....you have a sweet
project going !!!

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A "Thank you" to everyone! I have already learned more about 348's from people on this site in the past couple of days than I had in the previous xx number of years (we won't say how many ;>}). That information and knowledge is helping me move this project along nicely. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I hope to do so soon. When I do, I will update the build in the "Build & Projects" forum so 'you-all' can keep me on the straight and narrow.

Great group!
Thanks,
Texas John

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well Jed....
It might be just like the Sundance Kid said....Boerne...
“This might be the garden spot of the whole country. People may travel for hundreds of miles just to get to this spot we’re stabding now.”
......wait a minute....that was Bolivia....

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I can't imagine what attraction Boerne has (except maybe family) that would have you come back that soon from MO, but let me know if I can help or if you have time to visit the shop.
John
It's a long story!!!! Just coming in to town for a day and then back to KC. I'll keep it in mind for the next time. Maybe we can meet at Cooper's in Llano!!!!!!!!!

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Phil: That's a bit of a haul (1.5 hr each way) from my home (Boerne) for BBQ. Let me know when you are down this way with some free time and I'll take you to some good BBQ closer to my place.
Texas John

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Texas John.........I started coming down to see Hayden probably 1990. He took me to Cooper's. Loved that place ever since. I have a 250 mile radius......if I get that close...I detour for Cooper's!!!!!!!!!! As in Harley Davidson terms......it's not the ride, It's the destination!!!!!!!!
Missouri Phil

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I can't imagine what attraction Boerne has (except maybe family) that would have you come back that soon from MO, but let me know if I can help or if you have time to visit the shop.
John

Have a friend and fellow gear head from Austin that retired there, Jimmy Finger. He had a body shop in Austin for many years.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
[https://www.bizjournals.com/sananto...e/HAkeIRcUgcpk6&t=1529543885&j=82254121QUOTE="W Head, post: 410389, member: 538"]Have a friend and fellow gear head from Austin that retired there, Jimmy Finger. He had a body shop in Austin for many years.

W Head[/QUOTE]
W Head: I know the name (Jimmy Finger), but I have never had the pleasure of meeting the man.

I owned a hot rod parts shop in San Antonio in the '90's and sold it in '99. Back then I was much more in tune with what/who was going on in the local car scene, but you lose currency quickly when you aren't active. I didn't start getting back into cars and working on my garage projects until after I retired from my "day job" a couple of years ago. I am still learning things and meeting people. I have talked to a couple 348-409.com members this week and gained a great deal of knowledge, plus shared stories from the old days. Great stuff!

John

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks to everybody on this forum. Last week I pulled the trigger and purchased a '61 348 "FL" engine with the 8781147 heads and 3755011 block for my '33 Roadster project. I started a thread in the "Builds & Projects" forum on my project. All help and suggestions on the engine build will be appreciated.

JED, aka "Texas John"