New guy with a Z11

R O N ???????????
sorry ?
Sorry for what, man ? !
You just happen to get me, not 10 minutes after I had a heated discussion with someone about the NHRA "rules" :evil !

I'm just glad you posted that link so everybody here can see the mistakes.
We ALL make mistakes ( like my poor choice of words in my previous post;) )... But NHRA won't listen to anybody so they can correct theirs.
I'm told that that is nothing new for them:rolleyes:

Geez, I hope I don't have to change my alias name to IHRAstocker409:eek: :p !

I

IgnitionMan

Maybe the same metal configuration, but when you get right down to the ident, QA, QB, QM, etc., they ain't the same to those whom want the real seal, and THAT alone makes them all different and unique to one another.

Anybody know what the revision was.......main change was to remove the front half of the distributor pilot hole, opening the post area to the valley. Previously, the distributor was almost all the way obscured to the valley.

I've always thought opf the NHRA as needing an "We're the" in front of the name, so it would be like this, "We're the NHRA", or "We're the NOT HAPPY RACING ASSOCIATION. Of course, IHRA is much worse. I refer to NHRA "tech" personnel as the "duh...errrr....huh...what...nah?" group.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I know of a 425/hp 409 block #3844422 stamped T0408QB. I thought it was a 64 but I don't have the cast date codes? The heads are #3852583 but again I didn't get the date codes. :( Somebody said it was a 65 but they didn't make the 425hp in 65 did they and didn't 65s use #3857656 blocks and all J codes?

The engine you have,WITHOUT the heads and intake is a 409 with a 3.650 crank AND different rods. The rods were different on Z-11's. IF the suffix code is still on it, AND comes back to a Z-11 sell it, for big bucks. It would be senseless to try building it up when you could build 2 HP 409's for what you could get for a TRUE Z-11 short block!.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Air cleaner on 1962 Mark I was a 2x4 with an open element. The air cleaner on a 1963 Mark Is, which was the engine used in the Z-11 package, was a cowl induction piece. Youse guys are GOOD!. Nonetheless, they NEVER put a Z-11 engine in a 1962 Chevy, the "service package", which was the heads and 2piece intake was designated "Mark I". The 427 version was designated Mark Is (for stroke). The Z-11 was a PACKAGE which included the Mark Is engine. I know, nit picky, but I'm tired of hearing about 1962 Z-11's, never made them.

PS: I'm also tired of hearing about the 57 Z-11's built in 1963. That INCORRECT number is based on the "Arlington" letter where Vince Piggins said he THOUGHT they built 57. The correct number of PRODUCTION LINE BUILT Z-11's is 50. That's the number of Z-11 suffix coded engines the Tonawanda engine plant built. How many 1963 Z-11's were built from over the counter parts?. Who knows?. I've seen Z-11 2 piece intakes dated as late as 1965.

348: this open element air cleaner was home made rather than factory. The one I saw on a 62 aluminum front end car made it up because he had t have "something". I (they,he) did'nt know what racers used at the time but you wouldn't want to use a stock closed black one, and the cowl induction system wasn't used until the factory did it in '63.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nut, I actually saw a pic of one on this site someplace. Might check the pics section but I think it was in a post. Bungy

RICK:Yes you misunderstood, because I wasn't clear. The '62 "A/FX" package which included the 2 pc intake didn't include an air cleaner but POSSIBLY did include instructions on how to modify the AC.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here's a photo of a 61 SS Impala that was suposed to have come from the factory with a dual quad 409. Notice the Z11 style air cleaner. I've no idea if this is factory stuff but I thought some might find it interesting.

Attachments

• 61 impala .jpg
    61 impala .jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 413

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Is that a picture of the engine in a dark charcoal grey 61 SS? I've seen pics of the car before, supposed to be the most unique 61 SS arround, or thats what the person selling it said.
Ross

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was at Floyd Garret's muscle car museum first week in Sept and he had a black 61 2dr sedan with a dual quad 409. Claimed to have all documentation to prove it. I've never known Floyd to be a liar.:confused:

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I helped build that car, Bungy. Was my motor in it. Sold it to the guy that built the car. Nuff said.

Fred

I know Floyd Garrett, and he knows me. I don't believe he ever said it was a real car, he knows better. As per previous post above this one, it's bogus. All '61 409 engines were single 4 barrel.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
As to the 61 2 door sedan at Floyd's, it is a DAMN NICE CAR. The guy that built it, with some help, is a stickler for detail. I don't think you could find a better car any where. The same guy helped me restore my 63. We had some arguments as to some of the stuff we were replacing, and he wouldn't let me put a piece on the car that wasn't perfect. He also did a 62 Bubble top that was at Floyd's place some time back. Floyd sold it later on. It too was a top notch piece. Can't beat his work. Only does it for himself and some friends. We graduated together. Ornery guy, but you can't beat him.

Fred

Floyd wouldn't have anything but the best. I haven't talked to him in years, never been to his museum neither. Was to his house and shop in Fernadino Beach however. Long story. Side note: I was the guy who found the pre-production Z-16 Chevelle he has/had?. Screwed him out of a Z-11 motor too, but it was completely unintentional. Guy around here has/had aluminum front end Mark I '62 bubble top, same with a stock '09, and Z-11 car. expert on them actually. I'll have to look him up. Oh, I broght that Z-11 motor to him from PA. Had it in the trunk of a "hot'rod" '79 Malibu, and of course saw all the special parts on it. There's another Z-11 around here, the guy wants to put it in a stock '63 Impala. I tried to get him to sell it, nahhhhh, I'll keep it. Had the heads and intake sold to Floyd for $10,000, complete engine for $15,000. Go figure, he could have had THREE completely restored and rebuilt 425HP '09's but wanted the rare Z-11 motor.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Z-11

Hey there,

What block stamping does yours have? If it is a Z-11 block it should say "QM". QA-380-400HP,QB-409-425HP,QC-340HP(depending on transmission Pglide or standard shift). I'm a Z-11 fan and hopefully this can help you.