New here, Fast Fred's son

bigone721

I'm kinda new to all this even though I've been around 409's all my life. I know alot of you knew my dad Fast Fred which passed away from cancer in December. My brother, mother, and I are trying to finish his car in his memory. If you don't know he was building a original '61 SS409 car into a tube chassis drag car. The car is mostly done but requires finishing touches such as plumbing, electrical, and paint. I am almost done with the body so it can be painted by Jay at Speedway in Lake Havasu. Dad said he wanted it painted it red, oppsite of factory colors (main color red with white stripe). I am trying to get the engine put together (a mechanically injected 476 with BWR heads). Just need to get one of the heads ported and we can run it on the dyno. Desktop dyno says it suppose to make 1100HP but the real estimate is around 800Hp. I've found alot of useful infomation on here and hope to have the car done by November for the street drags that will be held in town. Need to woop up on all the wanna be race cars with a rear car and motor!

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard,
Sounds like a great build hope to see you at Thompson some day

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The car's looking great!:beer
It should be really nice when it's done.

By the way, you're right not to trust the Desktop Dyno numbers. Those programs seem to work very well for a typical street engine but I think they exaggerate the power for performance builds.
Even 800hp would be a real accomplishment.:clap I hope you get there, or somewhere close, but don't worry even 650 or 700hp would really move that car.:deal

I know a car like this doesn't get built overnight but please keep us updated on the progress.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome!!!!
The car looks awesome!!! Looks like a lot of thought and engineering has gone into this build!!! Dad will be proud!!!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Very nice !!!!! You're Dad would be so proud of you.:clap Please keep us posted on the build. Seeing the car at Thompson would be awesome !:cool:

:crazy:cheers

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have some pictures of that car when your dad started on it. He bought that car just down the road from me in Oakville, WA. I did not realize he was sick. I am very sorry to hear this news. Fred was actually from Port Townsend, WA. and we became acquainted on this site and found we have a common friend. I had talked with him on the phone several times but never had met him. My condolences go out to you and your family. Please keep us posted as to your progress with the build.

Fast Freds 61.jpgFast Freds 61 Tubs.jpg

The Motor Pool

Bringing Back this old thread to show the car in its current state. My customer purchased this car from Mitch (Freds Son) in 2017. Its come a long way since.

Attachments

• The Motor Pool 01.jpg
    The Motor Pool 01.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 19
  • The Motor Pool 05.jpg
    The Motor Pool 05.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
  • The Motor Pool 07.jpg
    The Motor Pool 07.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22
  • The Motor Pool 09.jpg
    The Motor Pool 09.jpg