New Holland 348

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just took delivery of a running 348 engine. It's a 63 CFD cast 962 block with a T1024 4K pad stamp. It has a 3844472 truck intake, with a factory 2 barrel adapter and Rochester 2GC and a car type distributor instead of the expected truck dist. The interesting thing about this engine is that it came out of a New Holland piece of farm equipment which I can't identify (check out the pics). This engine was discovered and removed by fellow forum member Don Matney who reads the forum but doesn't post much. Don is a great guy with a neat 50 Chevy coupe that was supposed to get this engine, but will probably get one of his two Hemi's instead. He also happens to be a brother pilot which, of course, makes him a really good guy.:cheers
Don cleaned up the engine, painted it, changed the oil, filter, and fuel pump. Under the valve covers was extremely clean and it apeared to have been run very little. He fired it up and it ran and idled smooth with good oil pressure.
Now, what is it going into? I thought about just bolting it into my 61 Impala 2 dr post, but then I looked over at my 63 shortbed fleetside, big back window pickup that happens to have 12 bolt posi, under dash air, but no engine or trans. I'm thinking- clean up the enigne compartment, build a 2004r I just happen to have laying around, and bolt it in and go.

Attachments

• 63purtfront.jpg
    63purtfront.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 175
  • NewHolland 348 5.jpg.jpg
    NewHolland 348 5.jpg.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 255
  • NewHolland 348 6 jpg.jpg
    NewHolland 348 6 jpg.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 216
  • NewHolland 348 7 jpg.jpg
    NewHolland 348 7 jpg.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 205
  • New Holland 348 1.jpg
    New Holland 348 1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 252

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Way to go!

Cecil:

Nice score! Are those 2.5" exhausts?

I think your idea of slipping her into the '63 Pick 'em Up is a great idea, go for it!

Have you checked the vitals of the engine yet?

Cheers!
TomK

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil:

Nice score! Are those 2.5" exhausts?

I think your idea of slipping her into the '63 Pick 'em Up is a great idea, go for it!

Have you checked the vitals of the engine yet?

Cheers!
TomK

Tom,
The exhaust mans are 2" truck mans with no choke stove.
It seems to run good, it looks good and the whole idea is that I don't have to tear it down to use it so since it is running,and apparently a low time engine,it's going into the truck without a teardown. I may even put the 2 barrel back on it......or maybe one of my 3x2 setups which would be the best of both worlds- 2 barrel economy as long as I don't put my foot in it. According to factory specs, the CR is 7.75 with one notch and the 333 head combustion chamber. I could always change the heads to the 379'sI have with 2.06 intakes to boost the CR, or use the 333's I have with 2.06's, but the bigger valves might not do much good with those pistons and cam. Oh well, I just want a torquey driver with a W under the hood.....I think it will be just fine.
BTW, the flywheel has never had a clutch bolted to it...essentally, it's still new since it was only used to work with the starter. It's a 3714463 dated I-12-3 and will be coming off since I plan on using the 2004r.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WHOA THERE CECIL, never mind all that other stuff. Whats that parked behind the peecup??????

Ray

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
348 find

Looks like maybe that was a silage chopper that the engine came out of. Interesting that it has a vacuum advance distributor. I've checked a lot of farm equipment, but never found a W-motor there yet. A nice little score for sure!:clap

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Cecil, the sooner it gets in that truck, the better. The tri-power would be icing on the cake!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
WHOA THERE CECIL, never mind all that other stuff. Whats that parked behind the peecup??????

Ray

Ray,
That's a 58 Belair 4 door hardtop yellow and white that was exactly like one I had in 63 oly this one has a 348, all original. Unfortunately, I no longer have it, but the guy I traded it for the 61 Impala, called me months ago to see if I would buy it back for $3500 as he needed the money. As much as I liked that car, I just couldn't make room for another project.
Next time you're out this way, come by for a tour of my junkyard.

Attachments

• 58BA4drht1.jpg
    58BA4drht1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 102

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, I posted a couple pics of some 63's for sale in the "Ronnie you got mail" thread in general car talk. I thought you told me you wanted a 63.

Ray

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like the 348 powered pickup idea. That engine and 200R4 tranny would be great!:beerbang

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the encouragement, guys.
I spent as much time yesterday as I could stand in my non-airconditioned shop (114 deg outside) inventorying my parts supply for the truck project and it looks pretty good so far. I discovered the truck had already been converted to a later model power steering box and the tranny crossmember had had the rivets cut out and was bolted in. The 200R4 is about 6 inches longer than the aluminum powerglide or a T-10/muncie 4 speed and bellhousing, so the mount will easily slide back with some new holes to fit. I found an nos engine wiring harness, an alternator/gen mount for a truck engine, 3x2 set up with air cleaner, a good underdash wiring harness for the instrument cluster with factory guages and tach that I have. I have a good gas tank and sender and a useable dual master cylinder with 8" power booster that I should be able to adapt. All I need is the disc brake changeover (maybe with dropped spindles) and a driveshaft. I have several driveshafts laying around so I will probably have to cut one. I may try to adapt a 63 SS powerglide floor shifter to the 200R4 or may just splurge and buy a Lokar. I also found a chevy van tilt steering column to replace the granny 4 speed column that is in the truck if I decide I don't want a floor shifter on the automatic. I have a Sanden 508 air compressor so all I need is a bracket to mount it.
Now all I have to do is wait until mid October to get outside and work on it.:doh
Should probably move this to the truck file.:scratch

lentzjj

:beerbang Hey guys just seen your find i am very curious to know what modle equipment that came out of. I am a parts manager at a NEW HOLLAND dealer in milan mi. I spent the better part of my afternoon trying to find what this could have possibly been. The only gm engine i can find NEW HOLLAND using was a diesel. Could it possibly be a NEW IDEA? -- they used alot of differnt makes engines

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I'm in camp with the truck guys. I have a 55 big window P.U. out back that i would love to have a 348 for! Nice find Cecil!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:beerbang Hey guys just seen your find i am very curious to know what modle equipment that came out of. I am a parts manager at a NEW HOLLAND dealer in milan mi. I spent the better part of my afternoon trying to find what this could have possibly been. The only gm engine i can find NEW HOLLAND using was a diesel. Could it possibly be a NEW IDEA? -- they used alot of differnt makes engines

I don't know exactly what kind of equipment it was in. I didn't remove it so all I know is what shows in the pictures...maybe a hay-bailer or some kind of combine?:dunno

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
It is a "field cutter". It was used to cut corn for enslage for feed for cattle. There was one back in my home town until about 5 years ago. It was a 656 truck block with the 2-barrel adaptor on the intake manifold.

That sucker should run for years Cecil because the field cutters were only used ONCE a year!!!!:clap:clap:clap They don't get very many miles that way!!!

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
348 corn chopper for sale

Found this ad on Craigslist today
Dave

348 Chevy Motor for sale - $1000 (St.johns)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-09-30, 4:55PM EDT
Reply to: sale-pux8c-1400233203@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up for sale is a 348 Chevy Motor in running condition.Currently motor is in a Corn chopper and you can hear it run before we pull it.Motor is complete and runs good.I have heard of 348 core motors selling for $800 to $1000 and this one runs and you can come verify that if interested Call 517-202-7766.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I took a couple of pictures of an early sixties pickup with a 348 Tri Power swapped in. The truck also had a Sun tach and a 61 Impala steering wheel. It looked great.:beerbang

2009-09-27061cre.jpg

2009-09-27066cre.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I took a couple of pictures of an early sixties pickup with a 348 Tri Power swapped in. The truck also had a Sun tach and a 61 Impala steering wheel. It looked great.:beerbang

2009-09-27061cre.jpg

2009-09-27066cre.jpg

That looks like a 61 and very nice...I like it.The 61-62 dog dish hub caps are a nice touch too.
:cool::cool: