New member here: ID my Z11 stuff

Z-11-Ed

Hi all!

When I had first traded for these heads/parts about 20 years ago, I had to search long and hard for info about these parts back then. Glad to find this group! I had originally traded a '56 project car for these parts plus other 409 engines and Chevy goodies. What I have left are these dissasembled heads (inc. valves springs etc.) the lower valley cover. I also have a block, exhaust manifolds etc to build with these heads. What I never had was the manifold upper. Now my first question is: wasn't there two uppers? A 2x4 for 1/4 mile and a 1x4 for Nascar? I have an article which references Smokey Yunick having one and only a handful were made (less than 6?). In any event I always figured I would have to fabricate a manifold if I was going to run these heads. The original project intended to receive this engine was a '63 Nova SS. Well that never happened...here the pics!

Attachments

• Photo_080806_004.JPG
    Photo_080806_004.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Photo_080806_005.JPG
    Photo_080806_005.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 182

Z-11-Ed

more pics

Pic quality is great - sorry - ID# pics are too large to post, I would be happy to e-mail them to anyone.

M

MK IISS

Z-11-Ed

There was a 1962 single 4-bbl "Z11" style intake which along with the "Z11" type head was originally designed for NASCAR use. As I understand it, the 1962 "Z11" style over the counter heads have different casting #s than the later Z11 factory installed heads on the 1963 car.

Z-11-Ed

Thanks guys. My heads are hand stamped with part nubers in the center location. One head is stamped 0223806 and the other is stamped 223806. I was curious because I have an old Car Craft article referencing the Z11 1x4 NASCAR setup and there was no reference that I found on 348-409.com for that configuration.

On a further note - I have an article detailing a 409 buildup in which a 454 crankshaft is used to give more displacement. That idea always intrigued me and I wanted to do a build up along those lines with my 425hp block and Z11 heads.

The crank main journals have to be turned down to the smaller 09 journals but all the other block specs are the same.

Anyone hear of a buildup like this or any ideas or opinions either way?

Thanks

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Ed

Check your email

Lamar Walden suggests your bore the 409 block mains to bbc size crank journal size of course you have to trim the counter weights and thrust area

I have 2 blocks one with the std 409 mains/ and one with bbc 427/454 mains going into the Harrell Nova

If you use a bbc 454 crank dont go with alum rods or you will have to grind the sides of the block to clear the rotating mass like i did. Just use good LS6 pink rods or something like eagle forged rods

if you search this site you will find info from many members on this topic

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There also is an aftermarket manifold availible for the Z-11 heads,,,,

CRW`s ,,,, Day Automovtive in KC would be the place to get them,,dq

Z-11-Ed

Hmmm...date codes...as I recall they are 61 or 62. The heads are in storage in Reno NV and I am working in Phoenix AZ right now...I beleive they do have cast dates and the snowflake foundry mark...any info on these head part numbers???

Thanks for all the info guys!

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Head info

The early '62 Z-11 style cylinder heads had pinned studs and were rough. They were marked CFD (Central Foundry Division) General Motors. The two-piece aluminum intake manifolds were made at Winters Aluminum Foundry, and have the traditional Winters snowflake embossed in the casting. The early aluminum intakes developed a problem with cracking at the bolt bosses and were subsequently redesigned. Some of these early manifolds had different odd part #'s and incorrect firing orders cast on them.

M

MK IISS

1963 Z11 Heads

Some of the 3837731 1963 Z11 heads were cast by Winters Foundry and I believe, had screw-in rocker studs.