New Member , Irate 348

Irate 348

Hi All,
Newbie here from Cali.
Beeen a 348 owner twice over ! Once 1976 and once 1984. (both six packs)
In 76 , pulled my 348 out of a 62 Impala , then installed it into my 39 Chevy Coupe and still have it today ! Finally looking to rebuild it the way I should have when I was 16.
The other , in 84 was in a factory 60 Impala with a six pack ( the above as well), and like an idiot I sold the Impala (one of two, I had when starting my family, at 21 years old and needed the money. Like I said , an idiot ! Oh well , in the past .

Now , 30 some odd years later and having a bit more money , living the HotRod dream I began in in 76 , feels good !
Should be fun from here on out ! My motto , "The fun never ends."

Been a Contractor /wrench since , 1974 . Now its my time !
Amassed a small collection of HotRods , some running ,some building ,and some waiting.
1939 Chevy Coupe / 348 six pack on its second rebuild
1936 Ford 1.5 ton Dually Panel / Flathead 8 soon to be running six pack (3) 94 strombergs
1940 Ford PU on a 78 Elco platform / 454 / project
1941 Ford COE dually on a 82 G30 Van platform , wanna see it charged by the sun ! /project
1946 Chevy 1.5 ton conventional cab Dually , flatbed /stovebolt six/ project
1947 GMC COE 3 axle , sleeper, car hauler, 15' bed on a 1994 Chevy 4x4 platform /454 / complete , 2019 at Hot August Nites , Reno . Was a blast !
1981 VW 1.9 liter turbo diesel Rabbit PU (40 gpm) complete.
2002 C5 Vette convert./ LS1 , driver
2005 Chevy SSR hardtop convert./LS2 (400 hp) , driver
2011 International 3 axle HookLift with 20' beds and containers to move all my equipment etc. Workhorse.

So happy to have found this site , and am looking forward to my 348 build ! She's already been bored .030 over , line bored, rods balanced , heads ground and built. Am looking for some help/advice Re external oiling at the mains, (bearing eater) and finding a blower manifold, blower , and would love to see my old six pack on top !!! Know there ain't many, or any , like that and would appreciate any input ! Good bad or indifferent ?
Really want to run my 39 coupe again !

Thanks in advance ,
Chris
Irate 348

Irate 348

I can see you guys are jus my type ... III%'er's , "MO^ON ^ABE"!!!
Am out here , a native of my area , surrounded by tree-hugger transplants , with pink hair, flyin rainbow flags , eatin tide balls !
Its disgusting !!
And I gotta run a business !! I'm not leaving tho, so "Mo^on ^abe"

Technology is a bit of a challenge , I will do my best to get some pics up . Jus gotta get em outta the phone and into this site somehow:ebay ????

Thx for the welcome !
I can see , I'll do jus fine here ! :D:wtf:finger2
C

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome, it is nice to see some more west coasters joining. Maybe one day we can have events closer to the west coast.

Irate 348

If you're interested , my 47 GMC COE is on a you tube 17 sec. clip go to ... Hot August Nights 2019, Peppermill custom cabover YouTube
(look for the yellow truck pic).
Thx
C

Irate 348

Hi Guys,
Thx for the welcomes !!

Yea thats my yellow 47- 454 build.
No Cummins.
I put it on a 1994 Suburban K2500 (4x4) platform and added the third axle and stretched .

My 348 had a lot of miles and drag races on it , don't think it was assembled wrong ? That was a long time ago , 1976. I pulled it out of a 1961 Impala , with a Super T10. Hell , I was 16 , then. And in 1980 spun a bearing on the freeway at hi speed in my 39.

MRHP , I see your running a Blown 348. May I ask some advice ? What blower, what manifold, brands, any added oiling or 4 bolt mains , what compression pistons ? Is it a 348 or cranked up to a 409 ? and , any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would like to blow my 348 .

Thx
C

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
671 blower from BDS stage 2 10% underdriven, Don Hampton built the intake, stock oiling, 409 crank, Ross pistons 7.7 compression, 600 Edelbrock carbs, no 4 bolt mains. Runs real strong. 550 horse and 530 torque on the dyno. Hydraulic flat tappet cam. Nothing exotic, just good parts.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
These engines love a blower and the 380 combo is a no brainer from a cost stand point.What casting number block are you starting with? If you're starting from scratch,I'd suggest a 5011 truck block [double notch]so as not to have to custom order pistons.