new member w/ '61 Impala bubble top

BobB66SS

Hi all -

I just fell into a deal on a '61 bubble top I couldn't pass up. Wasn't really looking for another car as I don't even get to drive my others enough but I couldn't let this one get by. Got it from a trusted source who just got it back from paint and simply lost interest.

It's an Ermine white / turquoise interior 283 powerglide car with air and tinted glass. It's a full numbers matching car that even seems to have all of its original underhood components. All the trim, etc. is there, just needs to be reassembled. Can't believe my luck.

This is my first Impala, I've been more of a Chevelle guy to this point but I love the styling of these cars. So I'll ask the experts - - any things to look out for or be aware of as I start this project? Any parts that aren't available in repop in the event some of my parts aren't able to be saved?

A question - - my assembly manual shows that the dash is bolted into the dash carrier that meets the a-posts and windshield, but it doesn't show how that carrier attaches to the body. The carrier needs repainted, which I can do in the car if necessary. How does it attach to the body? Is it welded in and MUST be painted in the car?

Any expertise and advance insights you can share would be welcome. Great info here, looking forward to this resource as the project moves along. Here's where it sits and an idea where I'm headed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC01921.jpg
    DSC01921.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 86

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Welcome,
I like both where it is now, and I really like the look of the car that is the direction you are headed. Sorry, I can't help with the info you are looking for. I think you will get all the answers you need and more through others here. I definately had to respond though to another Chevelle enthusiast. Chevelles are my first dedication, but the early full size chevy's are exciting cars too. Post some pictures of your chevelle. I am sure nobody would be offended to see a chevelle photo. There is a guy here who can definately help with the look you are after. Boris (way2low) out of Ohio. He does a lot of these early full size chevrolets with the big wheels. There are quite a few here who know the 1961 chevrolet better than most too.

:cheers

BobB66SS

Thanks, droptop. Really looking forward to the knowledge & advice on this forum. It's obvious there are some real experts here from what I've read already.

Here's a few shots of my '66 Chevelle SS in Torch Red. It's got a 461BBC backed by a T56 six speed. 3.73 12-bolt. Edelbrock 800 carb & intake, GMPP aluminum heads, forged internals, 10.5:1, Comp hyd roller valvetrain, 2" Hooker headers. Makes 541HP / 587 ft-lbs. Vintage Air, BeCool aluminum rad., March serpentine drive. Hotchkis suspension w/ QA1 coilovers, Baer brakes, Budnik wheels. Flofit custom upholstered frt seats to mimic stock, rrs covered to match, hidden stereo/CD changer. Drives like a slot car on Red Bull, just a blast. Hoping to make the Impala just as much fun.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0486 2.jpg
    IMG_0486 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 61
  • underhood 2.jpg
    underhood 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo_081107_002 2.jpg
    Photo_081107_002 2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 47

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Even in Torch red the Chevelle is sneaky and very cool. I also like where you are headed with the '61. Welcome to the party:cheers

BobB66SS

Sneaky. I like that. Great description of the way I like to do things.

I like subtle details. Every time someone asks me if something on the car is stock I know I got it the way I wanted. I moved the console back 2" to match up to the T56 shifter and had the stock shifter grafted onto it to make it look stock. I also modified the 4-speed emblem on the console into a 6-speed; you have to look close to even notice. The new frt seats are covered with a stitch pattern exactly like the stockers and they also have the stock emblems in the seatbacks. I also had the guy who did them hand fabricate the stamped steel seatbacks just like the stockers and add the chrome piping around it.

I'm sure I'll find some sneaky things to do to the Impala too!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, Welcome to the madhouse. Great looking 61. I like the turquoise top. Looks a little bit familiar.

Attachments

• 61may83.jpg
    61may83.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 38

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And speaking of Chevelles here is one my buddy is building....:brow He made the same changes with the T56 and console but is using the original seats.

Attachments

• 572 ci BBC.jpg
    572 ci BBC.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Spoiler.jpg
    Spoiler.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Spoiler1.jpg
    Spoiler1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 34

BobB66SS

Thanks, tripower. Unfortunately the pic of the 2-tone car is one I found from another site. My car is solid white, although I have to admit I'm giving some thought to painting the top. The 2-tone car is the general build direction I'm thinking of going with mine.

Unlike my other cars that were not NOM when I got them so resto-modding them wasn't a concern, this one has all of its original bits so anything I do to it I have to do carefully in the event any future owner wants it back to numbers matching. That also means I have to keep and store all of those parts as well! The paint that was just laid down by the previous owner is the correct codes for the car, although it is base/clear. Not sure I want to do something (paint the top) that would be a pain (but doable) to correct later.

WOW! 572 in the Chevelle! I was wondering how he got that to clear the hood but I see the cowl on it. Are those inserts from a 67 hood? Very nicely executed. I started with the stock seats but found that they had ZERO lateral support. I could probably have changed the covers to a suede/vinyl combo like the new seats that I had built and saved a bunch of $$$, but the bolsters in the new ones make the car that much more fun to flog.