New Project-Vett

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Have another project. My daughter-in law's uncle passed away and her aunt gave her & my son her uncles 1968 Vett-350 (smog engine) 4-speed A/C car. It has not been on the road for around 20 years, but started and run every now and then. Been inside for around 20 years. Calls for a engine re-build, all steering and control rubber is dry rotted, 4-speed rebuild (has 100,000 miles) and new A/C everything. It is a Houston, Tx car, so the radiator support is pure rust and it took for ever to get all the front parts off. Paint is fair (been painted once in its life) and the white interrior is in real good shape and will clean up. Casey, my son, said he has a budget of $3,500. I told hin you will have to up your budget, even for a driver. Thoes Vetts, you have to love them to have and work on , because you cannot get to any bolt or screw easy. I know, I have had two.:bang

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wayne, Have I got a deal for you. Run these numers and see if you like.
DSCF1212_zps10cdfa77.jpg

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I hit the wrong key it is a 1978 vett,:doh wish it was a 68. Ronnie I'm looking for the numbers, but 68 would be a 327 SB, this is a 350.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, Leo. A real treasure. I put it on e-bay a few years ago thinking I had a gold mine. A minimum bid of $100, just to get the ball rolling. 7 days went by and not one bid .......!!! :roll:roll:roll

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just for arguements sake,I'll say this,The 1978 Vette engine was a thin cast ,low-power,'smog motor'!The heads were worse,small valve,open chamber,no quinch area,thin cast[even a clean-up cut of .010 would often have sealing issues].Now if youre going 100 percent original ok,but if the cars going to be a driver,then you can do a modern version for about the same money and have much more power,and better gas mileage.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That blocks of some value to the person that has the matching VIN car, otherwise it's just another block for everyone else. Sorry Ronnie, don't mean to hurt your sale.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Ronnie, That motor could have been in my friend's '69 350/350 4 speed Corvette that he bought new up here in MN. He pulled the tired motor out in the late 70's to be rebuilt at a local rebuild shop. He picked up the freshened motor and put it in. He drove the car for several years and decided it was time to sell. The fellows coming by for a looksee soon discovered that the car was no longer "numbers matching":eek. Apparently, someone at the engine shop had a better use for this fine motor and pulled a switcharoo. This was kinda before the numbers thing really got going. Leo

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Just for arguements sake,I'll say this,The 1978 Vette engine was a thin cast ,low-power,'smog motor'!The heads were worse,small valve,open chamber,no quinch area,thin cast[even a clean-up cut of .010 would often have sealing issues].Now if youre going 100 percent original ok,but if the cars going to be a driver,then you can do a modern version for about the same money and have much more power,and better gas mileage.

Don, Yes I know about the engine, going back with Eddy heads and cam kit, up the compression to around 9 1/2 , can't go too wild on the cam-too many things run off vaccum. Casey, my son, just wants a nice street car that runs pump gas and easy to drive.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like a plan,9.5 will work with alloy heads and 87 octane fuel.If you dont mind preminum,a basic flat top piston at .010-.000,and a headgasket 0f .039[basic Fel-Pro] will get you up to about 10.25,and with a 262 Extreme-Energy cam will cruise like a dream at light throttle,but :crazyHates tires at a full throttle punch from idle.