new rear end problem

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Friend of mine built me a new rear end. New gears and all new bearings-ect. Does great as long as you are going down the road, but let off the gas and there is a whine. He said he only put 150 lbs torque on the nut. I don't think this is enough for the crush sleve. What do you think. He has built rear end for me before and done a good job with no problems.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Sounds more like gear set up. The ft. Pounds to crush the crush collar is not important. What is important is that It did crush, has stayed tight, and pinion preload was properly set. He may have to play with the pattern to get it to quiet down. Are they new or used gears? Sometimes they just make noise.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Yeah usually gear pattern slightly off. I will say the Richman gear sets I've done has a smaller window of error on getting a correct pattern to stop any whine than other brands.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Had the same problem with a previous car I owned. Brand new ring and pinion. Took it back twice. The mechanic said to turn the radio up louder and I wouldn't hear a thing. Went elsewhere. Pattern was then set properly, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Remind's me of a customer complaint where the once local garage ( Chevy dealership now gone) did a alignment on a guy's car.Took the shop foremen for a ride and customer took his hand's off the wheel and said sometime's it pull's one way and another time the other way. The shop foremen replied,,,,,,,,, "Keep your hand's on the wheel"........:laugh2

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with the above,incorrect pattern.Dave's also right on about Richmond gears.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep pattern is off. I also third the opinion on the Richmond gears. They can be a little noisy.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I did a set od Richmond gears in my 94 Z/28 and the pattern was really good, drove it for 500 miles then on light acceleration it whines a bit. I was told that's the Richmond's are. Guess I will turn up the radio.