New shop

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The in law apartment is for my 83 year old dad.He moved into a assisted living apartment a few years ago.They take care of medication and cooking/cleaning for him but that is all he needs for assistance.It is way overpriced for the services they provide and he absolutely hates it there.I thought this would be a great place where my wife and I can keep an eye on things.Although my 16 year old son thinks it would make a perfect apartment for him.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Nice building! Framing goes up quickly, doesn't it? I always think in terms of "half way done" once I have the roof on. Takes a lot of time to get wiring, plumbing and HVAC installed. Then there's sheetrock, which also goes quickly.

Man, this makes me want to build something new :) :) :).

Have fun! TomK

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
You are absolutely right Tom.I thought we were going to be in a month early after the exterior was done.The hardest part of the rough in was getting the trades there and keeping them till they finished,everyone is so busy right know.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Here’s what I know about them(which isn’t much)They are mini splits.They have an indoor air handler and an outside condenser and compressor.They supply heat and ac by circulating refrigerant.They do not require ductwork.They are very efficient in power consumption and the power company offers rebates.I was hesitant about using them but I was assured this was the smartest way to go.We’ll see.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Here’s what I know about them(which isn’t much)They are mini splits.They have an indoor air handler and an outside condenser and compressor.They supply heat and ac by circulating refrigerant.They do not require ductwork.They are very efficient in power consumption and the power company offers rebates.I was hesitant about using them but I was assured this was the smartest way to go.We’ll see.
Thanks. I'll be curious to see if the 2 air handlers do the job. What is the cubic footage of the cave?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I used a combination of recessed LEDS and "regular" tube-type four foot LEDS and in my opinion the tube type LEDs out perform the recessed options. Put enough of 'em up there and you're good! As Tom mentions, I did put half dozen ceiling fans peppered on both the upstairs and the lower area.

Have fun! TomK

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
All along I was planning on getting a bendpak 4 post lift.Because they are on the west coast and with all this Covid crap it would have taken a month to get it.
I wound up going with the atlas extra long extra tall.A company in mass had them in stock.I was able to pick it up and install it in three days.Usuallly the atlas lifts are gray,but they have a deal with Barrett Jackson and make a red and black to sell at their auctions.
They are made in America,have all the cables pre strung,and super easy to put together.8B623ED1-C2C3-4DB9-9317-69FC3DD320AB.jpegC17C6EA7-B630-4CE5-8BE1-8A811A5C8DC9.jpeg

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I put up some signs today.The family knows I want neon for Christmas and birthday.Lol
A friend of mine is a Benjamin Moore sales rep
and talked me into a full flake epoxy floor.So now I get to move everything out that I moved in.:doh
He’s right though,the plain concrete looks like crap.
The website for the flakes is pretty cool.You can use one of your photos to see what it will look like with the flake.I tried to post one I did but it wouldn’t load.
68151941-8633-4DEE-9CDE-76BA747ACF01.jpeg710EA940-47A6-4DF4-9863-2B4470E6DB45.jpeg