New storage space preparations?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Got around to moving some dirt this morning, clearing a vacant lot that some years back I had deposited tons of fill dirt on. The lot is platted for two new buildings, but I don't really need any more, so it's been vacant for over a decade now. Years back I placed an 8' by 20' storage container on it, it's still there. I've got spare parts sitting outside peppered around the fence line, need to clean that up.

So we started moving what appears to be 20-30 dump truck loads of fill, pushing it down the hill to it's new location.

Bobcat1.jpg

The objective is to flatten the area, put some half inch clean over parts of it, and maybe put up a storage building that can house a few future projects :).

Bobcat2.jpg
Tomorrow I get to remove 30 feet of the fencing so we can get the rock dumped and spread around. Then I put up a new section of fencing. The old was, well old!

After we stop to assess things, then I'll try to decide whether to put up something structural or move another container in. Those things are pretty cheap storage, and i've seen projects where you place two equal size containers in line but apart some distance, say 16 feet. Then you build a shed roof on top spanning the two containers. You get some "shed space" in between along with a pair of closed dry containers. Pretty inexpensive build, I'd say. And I just happen to have 32 slightly used 2" by 6" cedar joists about 16 foot in length and some left over piles of shingles from various roofs...

Cheers! TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Yeah, somehow 4200 square feet didn't cut it for me and junk I've been collecting :).

Here's what that lot looks like now that it's graded and I sprinkled some half inch clean around:

Bobcat4.jpg

Dang that stuff is expensive! Cost over $600 just for one truck load. It does settle better than one inch clean, so that's the consolation :).

Bobcat6.jpg

Now onto planning for what to do next...

Cheers! TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Finished putting back the (new) fence, added a 12 foot swinging section to I can move stuff in and out easily:

Lot 9 fencing.jpg

Next I need to move the existing container as it's in an area where I might want to construct a building:

Lot 9 fencing2.jpg

I planted two dozen seedlings (Red Pines and Blue Spruces) around the perimeter and another 12 or so down below where I pushed all the dirt:

Lot 9 trees.jpg

Can you tell I'm thinking long term with those little seedlings?

Cheers! TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That double-container (or even triple) scenario seems like it works pretty well, I've seen that done out here several times. Usually on top of a pretty simple concrete slab, with various roof structures added. Pretty much bullet-proof, water and dust-tight, and there is a lot of stuff being made to turn them into everything from houses to offices to whatever.