New super chevy with fuel hilborn fuel injection

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
50nnie, you be thee nice guy, i;ll be the ass, rwhp numbers are probably correct. they may have used a bullet cam
like mine.

yay

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ray !! I thought about you a few weeks ago when I was degreeing my Bullet. 112 lsa to be installed 108 icl. With crank gear neutral, came in at exactly 100...... Had to get creative to get to 108. I remembered you pulled a lot of hair out before you got yours right. Quite frustrating. Skip Fix uses a Bullet also and I didn't notice he had problems. I guess the same guy ground our cams. :roll

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A thought from " thinking out loud". I'm sure I will regret this one. :roll:roll The car has a T 700 R4 trans. Could the chassis dyno be set at 1;1 drive ratio but the pulls were made in O.D. ???

No Ronnie, the overdrive clutches would burn up under full throttle, not made for power just cruising.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
What's the date on this issue? I looked this morning and the April issue is on the news stand and it didn't have this atricle.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ishiftem, Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is that my machinist has very strong opinions on the subject. He claims that during a teardown that he can tell if an engine has been using an air filter or not. His opinion is so strong that it has caused me to look at the issue much more closely. Drag racing without an air filter is pretty common but not something I would do now. I certainly could not run unfiltered air in a street car though . Lots of things in that particular article that are questionable.
He is right. You absolutely can see it in the skirts and cylinder walls.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, May issue.......... I count 4 pages of text and 3 pages of pictures. I have seen major how-to articles with less print. I suppose they are trying to sell Hilborn injectors. On the front cover there is an inset that says, " EFI on 409---nets 74 lb-ft "................ It does at 3,600 rpms. Both systems max torque at 4,200 rpms,,,289 carbs---290 efi....

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ronnie, would you give me a heads up when the Mr. nice guy shit kicks in? I sure would like to see that!

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Here is my experience with Hilborn Injection back in the day, with Cousin Eddie.
All the guys in the Head Aches car club were friends with a guy we called, "Bill four speed". He married an American Indian girl, and they had a little girl. He owned a '64 Corvette Coupe, 327/365 engine, 4 speed, 4:11 rear gear, it was Sebring Silver,
with a black interior. It had one unusual option--a 36 gallon fuel tank! One Saturday we all met over at Bill's garage, and began talking about his '33 Willys Coupe. It had a straight axel up front, and a ladder bar suspension in the rear. It was run in the gasser classes, and used a small block Chevy engine, 331 cubic inches. There was a radical Isky cam, and 13:1 Compression, and he
used a Hilborn Injection system to deliver the fuel. Cousin Eddie said, "Hey Bill, how would your Corvette run with the Hilborn Injection on it"? Bill said, "There is only one way to find out"! We proceded to take off the intake of the Corvette, and Bill removed the Hilborn system, and fuel pump from the Willys engine. After they installed the Hilborn system and fuel pump on the Corvette, they realized that the power brakes would not work because there was no vacuum fitting on the Hilborn Injection to hook up the hose for the power brakes! Eddie said, "Not to worry, I'll drive it, and see if the brakes work OK". They start
the Corvette, and Eddie gets in and drives away. Without power brakes, a '64 Corvette is hard to stop, and to make matters worse, they are drum brakes. Undaunted Eddie runs down the alley, and turns out on the street. He gets out on Cicero avenue and floors the gas pedal in the Corvette. Well, it's like all hell breaks loose, and the car is all over the street trying to get
traction.The Willys had very wide slicks, and the Corvette had very skinny bias ply 15" tires! Eddie is used to wheel spin in the 409, but this car is lighter, and the small block is winding up fast. He tries second gear, and then third gear, never letting up on the gas. The Corvette is only moving about 30 mph, but the speedometer is at 120, and the tires are smoking badly. There is no traction to be had with this setup! The bigger issue is getting the Corvette to stop. As Eddie approches the stop light at Diversey Avenue, he realizes that this car is not going to stop, and blows through the light. Luckily the light was green, and the cars waiting on Diversey for the light to change had not entered the intersection yet. Eddie finally gets the Corvette slowed enough to turn around by Belmont Avenue, and starts his return to the garage. Eddie can't resist, and floors the gas once again. The same thing happens, and the Corvette is all over the street once again. This time Eddie manages to get into 4th gear, and the car
finally leaps forward through the same stop light that he went through going the other way. Now once again he has to find a way to stop the car, and this time he's going much faster! He decides that to help the car stop he would downshift the four speed, and let the engine help the car to stop. That was good in theory, but not in practice! He down shifts to second, and lets out the clutch, and jams on the brakes as hard as he can. By now he is on Cicero Avenue, right about where the garage is, and all the guys were in the street waiting for his return. As he lets out the clutch, the car begins to skid and break the rear tires loose, and it does a 360 degree spin right in the middle of Cicero Avenue! It finally comes to a stop , and Eddie jumps out and takes a bow in the middle of the street. Needles to say, they took the Hilborn Injection system off the Corvette, and put the original aluminum intake and Holley carb back on.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My Bullet degreed in right on where it was supposed to. Made 604 flywheel HP with just some old fashioned 600 cfm carbs.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here is my experience with Hilborn Injection back in the day, with Cousin Eddie.
All the guys in the Head Aches car club were friends with a guy we called, "Bill four speed". He married an American Indian girl, and they had a little girl. He owned a '64 Corvette Coupe, 327/365 engine, 4 speed, 4:11 rear gear, it was Sebring Silver,
with a black interior. It had one unusual option--a 36 gallon fuel tank! One Saturday we all met over at Bill's garage, and began talking about his '33 Willys Coupe. It had a straight axel up front, and a ladder bar suspension in the rear. It was run in the gasser classes, and used a small block Chevy engine, 331 cubic inches. There was a radical Isky cam, and 13:1 Compression, and he
used a Hilborn Injection system to deliver the fuel. Cousin Eddie said, "Hey Bill, how would your Corvette run with the Hilborn Injection on it"? Bill said, "There is only one way to find out"! We proceded to take off the intake of the Corvette, and Bill removed the Hilborn system, and fuel pump from the Willys engine. After they installed the Hilborn system and fuel pump on the Corvette, they realized that the power brakes would not work because there was no vacuum fitting on the Hilborn Injection to hook up the hose for the power brakes! Eddie said, "Not to worry, I'll drive it, and see if the brakes work OK". They start
the Corvette, and Eddie gets in and drives away. Without power brakes, a '64 Corvette is hard to stop, and to make matters worse, they are drum brakes. Undaunted Eddie runs down the alley, and turns out on the street. He gets out on Cicero avenue and floors the gas pedal in the Corvette. Well, it's like all hell breaks loose, and the car is all over the street trying to get
traction.The Willys had very wide slicks, and the Corvette had very skinny bias ply 15" tires! Eddie is used to wheel spin in the 409, but this car is lighter, and the small block is winding up fast. He tries second gear, and then third gear, never letting up on the gas. The Corvette is only moving about 30 mph, but the speedometer is at 120, and the tires are smoking badly. There is no traction to be had with this setup! The bigger issue is getting the Corvette to stop. As Eddie approches the stop light at Diversey Avenue, he realizes that this car is not going to stop, and blows through the light. Luckily the light was green, and the cars waiting on Diversey for the light to change had not entered the intersection yet. Eddie finally gets the Corvette slowed enough to turn around by Belmont Avenue, and starts his return to the garage. Eddie can't resist, and floors the gas once again. The same thing happens, and the Corvette is all over the street once again. This time Eddie manages to get into 4th gear, and the car
finally leaps forward through the same stop light that he went through going the other way. Now once again he has to find a way to stop the car, and this time he's going much faster! He decides that to help the car stop he would downshift the four speed, and let the engine help the car to stop. That was good in theory, but not in practice! He down shifts to second, and lets out the clutch, and jams on the brakes as hard as he can. By now he is on Cicero Avenue, right about where the garage is, and all the guys were in the street waiting for his return. As he lets out the clutch, the car begins to skid and break the rear tires loose, and it does a 360 degree spin right in the middle of Cicero Avenue! It finally comes to a stop , and Eddie jumps out and takes a bow in the middle of the street. Needles to say, they took the Hilborn Injection system off the Corvette, and put the original aluminum intake and Holley carb back on.

Cool story!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
After giving it some thought, I have the answer as to why the numbers are off in the magazine article. The Chinese government hacked into Super Chevy's servers and changed all the 4s to 2s. Mystery solved.

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
I don't think they gave any specs on gear ratio or torque converter stall speed either .
i agree, when i read that article there must be something wrong with the dyno calibration or something. maybe there was to much
parasitic lost in the drive train. its hard to say but i don't thank that's an accurate test.

TLByrd

That article makes me worried about my combo, but I also know the frustration of using a chassis dyno for this sort of thing. I think chassis dynos are great for seeing "before and after" results, but there are so many factors that go into getting that horsepower number. You have to consider torque converter slip, transmission and rear end when figuring up the numbers. Another thing that sometimes worries me is the dyno calibration stuff--they have to set up the altitude, weight of the car, gear ratio, etc. and it definitely makes a difference.