New to forum

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome JRay. :appl Leave all your troubles, at the door, and come in.:clap You won't be disappointed.:dunno2

JRay

Thanks guys, I was wrong on the date its a 65 block(3844422). I bought it and a set of 348 heads (3758379),a couple of gasket sets(some are GM), 7416 stroked crank that looks like its had all the machine work done. A set of stock pistons , rods ,brackets & other misc.parts. I've wanted a 409 for a while found more than one in one place, price was right so I bought it with some other things. So my thought is to use what I have make a 481 stroker. Just not sure on the crank as of now. I will take the block, crank, & heads to machine shop have them checked out. Some of the questions I will have is will it be possible to use the heads? Just gathering info. I don't have anything to put it in yet.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The 422 casting is more likely a 1964 casting, and that's just fine. I am assuming it's a passenger block, but you can tell us whether there is an "eyebrow" atop the cylinder bores. James is spot on, those 379s won't deliver on top of a stroker build, you might consider modifying some 333s (truck heads, pretty common, very inexpensive as 409 parts go) or step up and get a set of aluminum heads (aftermarket starting around $2K).

We hope your block and other parts check out OK, keep us posted and we'll help you with your options :).

Cheers!
TomK

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't listen to these guys. 379's will be just fine if you like breathing through a small straw. Most of these guys have something other than 379's. Heck I'm at least running some 333's on one motor and 690's on another. Big valves in a set of 333's are a great combo. Maybe some 817's if you find them for a decent price. Heck just throw a turbo on those 379's and force them to act bigger. :D We are full of ideas on here.