New to this site, but old to 348's

number 10

Owned 348 for nearly 60 years. I just bought one for a 49 Chevy 2 door I am building. This will make #10. Right now it has a 4 BBL but I found 2 tripower units that will power it soon. Also have a 50 Tin Woody, 65 C-10, 66 C-10, 65 Corvair convertible. and a few more. Located in NE Alabama.

number 10

The engine has great compression and evidence of a valve job not long ago. But a look inside is a good thing...very good thing as there was a lifter keeper sitting on the inside. Closer inspection showed a concave on that lifter. Some other galling on the cam. Dropping a new cam and set of lifters in. This will be a driver so nothing for power. Recommendations are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 28

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome neighbor.As to the cam,Show Cars 0949 would be a good,Howards Cams "American Muscle"[340 horse 409 replacement] would also be an excellent choice for a "driver' as well.Both will want new valve springs

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome to the forum number 10 I know you will enjoy it, like Rob said there is a LOT of good info and people here!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Then go with Show Cars 0950.It's the biggest one that can be put in a 9.5-1 C/R short block without notching the pistons.This cam has GREAT low-mid range power,runs out of steam above 5,000 rpm also making it safe for cast pistons.It will have a noticable lope at a low idle speed.I'm in Huntsville,Al.about an hour or so away.This is a Comp Cams Extreme Energy [small] grind.I would go to Howards Cams for the lifters and use Competetion Products for the valve springs and retainers[vs2 pn should work.]

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site . I also have two 66 c10. Short fleet and long fleet. Pictures of yours are allowed here!!!:D

number 10

I am building my 1959, 348 for my 49 Chevy. Plans are using a Saganaw 3 speed O/D I have . I have both 3x2's and 4 barrel intakes, jury still out on which to use.