New York Shaker

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thanks Tommy, that I did not know! ...........most of the ones I have in the parts boxes wear an ugly coat of greasy oxidation
I rely on Verne Frantz on a lot of the detail items and he has always told me they should be black. Also, the Corvette vendors sell reproduction caps for those m/c that look really nice. yours also looks great!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I sent Verne pictures a few years back of my master cylinders and I changed the covers from gold to silver plating
from his comment. He did not comment on gray ( cast color) at that time.
Paul

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I sent Verne pictures a few years back of my master cylinders and I changed the covers from gold to silver plating
from his comment. He did not comment on gray ( cast color) at that time.
Paul
I had an email conversation with Verne last night about this an he confirmed the black paint on the m/c. I think the original m/c that were used on the assembly line were painted black, maybe it was a low grade of paint that weathered away over the years but the purpose was the prevent surface rust from forming on the raw cast iron housing before the vehicle was sold. Verne sent me a photo of his 62 Impala that was taken when the car was very new and the m/c is clearly black.
Also, if you are looking thru junk yards for these m/c dont pass up the Corvairs, they used the same m/c

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
thanks Tommy,
I am going to leave my 62's with cast gray for now. I don't want to redo the brake bleeding on 3 -62's
There are no 1000 point shows to take my 62 SS 409 Convertible now(haven't been for 2 years) in the Midwest.
I have 5 -1000 point awards (989 to 993 out of 1000) from previous years on my 62's. Tulsa OK was the last one 2 years ago.

You go the AACA shows, is that correct? I note that most of them are in the eastern US. I also noted many cancellations this year.
Paul

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
You go the AACA shows, is that correct? I note that most of them are in the eastern US. I also noted many cancellations this year.
Paul

There has only been one AACA National Meet this year, that was in Feb. before this virus crap started. Everything has been canceled. AACA does have their Grand National Meet schedule in Gettysburg the third week of August. Keeping our fingers crossed

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ah ha! So the AACA guys who only drive their cars from the trailer to the show field want the paint on them and those of us who drive the snot out of them don't care or prefer natural casting. I drive the snot out of all mine, broke the 409 in the white car! :yikes It was due for some love anyway!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just an FYI, I remember pulling parts at a Chevy store for various repairs.

It would always irritate me that so many parts were shipped with some Half-A_ _ed paint job over the top of oil or grease on the parts!!

Almost every cast iron part was this way, boxed or not!!

I then had to remove the paint/grease from my hands. It seemed so stupid the way they did it, paint over the grease!!

Now, sheet metal parts were not that way, body parts, etc were sprayed with a primer over cleaned metal.

In the assembly plants the cast iron parts were delivered in the cages, but they were treated the same way, except there was not as much grease to paint over. I believe this is partially why you can see painted and not painted parts like a master cylinder.

Just some random info.