Newbie 348 swap / power steering questions

sb400

Hi all,

I have a '58 shortbed stepside, 3-on-the-tree with a 235. I also have a complete 1961 348 out of a big truck. My goal is to build a period-correct driver, using as many stock or production / GM parts as possible. I'd like to retain the original suspension and column shifter.

So here goes:

Will the 348 fit in the engine bay using a stock transmission location (I already have a v8 bellhousing).

I've read that the 348 exhaust manifold hits the stock steering box. I'm wondering what the options are, besides grinding the manifold. I wouldn't object to getting power steering with one of these saginaw box kits, or use the Sanderson shorty headers...does this do anything to improve steering box clearance?

Also I've seen a board member fabricate some nice front motor mounts for a W-motor. Can those be run with a later model style PS pump?

Thanks!

Jim

Stovebolt V8

Supporting Member 1
I think you'll have a slight issue at the firewall especially on the passenger side. I put a "W" in my 65 GMC PU and found that by moving the motor mounts (V8) forward about 1 inch and some gentle work on the firewall with a hammer where the valve covers would touch will make it work. Check that the drive shaft still inserts into the trans far enough or you might need a longer yoke. I don't have a problem at the steering box but might have one where the motor mount bolts to the frame, (side mounts) a little cut and grinding should solve that.

You say you have a V8 bell housing, is that with the motor mount attachment or a newer no mount? You won't be able to use those mounts if you slide the engine forward, use a transmission mount from a newer donor.

The front motor mount aren't too difficult to fabricate or use from a V8 equiped chassis BUT there was a reason they went away, no strength. Look for side engine mounts that attach to the frame, stronger and easy to use with the mentioned cut and grind. Of course get block hugger headers and problem solved. Most of the low mount power steering brackets from the 60's SBC will work.

Sounds like a cool setup your planning. :brow