Newbie here.........

M

monk

Just joined the forum this past week.
Looking for knowledge and parts........:)
My plans are to build a 409 with the new
aluminum heads being offered, dual quad intake and quite
possibly a 454 crank.
Any input greatly appreciated.
This will all go into a '55 Chevy post (lookin for one them to)
I had a '55 Belair hardtop in high school, had a 348 tri power motor.
So.......after 20 years of muscle cars, I'm gettin back to my roots....guess
I've been listening to too much 'do wop'.
Anyway.....thanks in advance for having me.
Monk

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Monk! All the help you'll ever need is here (not me, I'm dumb as a stump :roll) but some of the best minds in the business can be found on this board.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like a good plan Monk.:deal
We have a few members with W powered shoe boxes, but we can always use more.
Welcome to the site!:beerbang

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard!

Monk, once you get to reading the contents of these Discussions, you will become hopelessly hooked on the "W as much of us already are :). We look forward to your questions.

BTW, I'm about 120 miles away from you over in Columbia, MO. If you ever are in the area, stop by and I'll get your blood boiling with a ride in a 409 car :).

Cheers!
TomK

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Monk Iv'e got a buddy thats got a 348 in his 57 chevy and is collecting the nessasary parts to put another one in his 61 bubble I'm puttin one in my 51 chevy lead that only plays doowoop and rocka billy. So I think your in the right place.:beerbang

M

monk

Monk, once you get to reading the contents of these Discussions, you will become hopelessly hooked on the "W as much of us already are :). We look forward to your questions.

BTW, I'm about 120 miles away from you over in Columbia, MO. If you ever are in the area, stop by and I'll get your blood boiling with a ride in a 409 car :).

Cheers!
TomK

Hey Tom
I get over your way several times a year. I have several accounts
in the area I call on.
Trying to locate a good 409 block for rebuild. Jim Evans Racing down in
Rolla, MO is going to put it together for me.
It'd be his first 409 build and he's sort of pumped up about it.
So any leads appreciated and might ring you next trip over.
Monk

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey, Just a darn minute here, I go through Columbia quite a bit and I never got offered no ride.

Hey Monk, you emailed me about my 09 last week, I believe I got a 454 crank around here somewhere. I also got a complete 454 here too.

Ray

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Stop by!

Hey Ray, just let me know and I'll do the same for you! You get to choose between the Belair and the Impala, both 409 powered :).

Monk, exactly what are you looking for in a block? Truck or passenger? Bore size? I stumble on them from time to time...

Best,
TomK

M

monk

Hey Ray, just let me know and I'll do the same for you! You get to choose between the Belair and the Impala, both 409 powered :).

Monk, exactly what are you looking for in a block? Truck or passenger? Bore size? I stumble on them from time to time...

Best,
TomK

Tom
Looking for guidance........what's the difference between the truck and passenger block?
That's why I love this place....saving me tons of time and the value of all the knowledge here.
My engine guy, Jim Evans, is contacting Callie about a crank etc for the 409 block.
I might take you up on your visit offer and get over your way soon.......and Ray I might end up in your part of the country soon.
Monk

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Differences

Monk:

The truck 409s had an "eyebrow" cut out at the top of the cylinder bores to relieve compression. The 409 passenger blocks did not have these "eyebrows". Some performance builders/racers prefer the truck blocks with the cut outs since they allow valve clearance for high lift cams, etc. Others can chime in with their insights on these builds.

If you stop by I'll show you my "truck build" using a 1964 truck block bored .100" and sporting a modified 427 crank, a different sort of stroker that supports higher RPMs (per Aubrey Bruneau, aka "CPG" on our Forum). I have the 583 heads and dual quads on a stock 881 aluminum intake with Edelbrock carbs. Runs pretty strong :) :) :).

I also have an assortment of other 348s and 409s in various stages of completeness sitting on engine stands down the basement, awaiting bodies :).

Let us know if you have other questions, we enjoy the chance to share our collective experiences. In the end, you get to decide what it is you want. Lots of possibilities!

Best,
TomK

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here's a picture of the eyebrows that Tom is talking about.

Notches2.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks Dick for the great photo........uh, wanna sell me that block:brow

:roll I would love to Monk. The fact is I got that picture when I was trying to figure out what the notches in a truck block look like. I'm sure the real owner would be a little put out if I sold his block. :dunno

Here is a complete engine, with a 62 block (cast in Nov 61) I saw for sale near Knoxville TN.

Complete 1962 409 4bbl Chevy Engine $2,100

I have a complete and running 409 4bbl engine for sale for $2,100. It has a "068" block, "333" heads and is 100% complete including intake, carb, exhaust manifolds, water pump, etc etc etc. Block is dated K2661 or November 26, 1961. It is currently in a vehicle so you can start and hear it run. E-mail me at carstuff12 at Yahoo dot com

I don't know who this is. I would be cautious about sending any money without looking at the engine first hand.

61Jack

Supporting Member 1
Newby here in Tx..

Hello all. Just purchased my first big block. 1961 BelAir bubble-top. 348 tri-power
four speed. It has a solid lift cam and I need to know what to set the valves on.
All I have found out thus far is to set them hot. Is there a cold setting that works? Thanks in advance. 61Jack

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello all. Just purchased my first big block. 1961 BelAir bubble-top. 348 tri-power
four speed. It has a solid lift cam and I need to know what to set the valves on.
All I have found out thus far is to set them hot. Is there a cold setting that works? Thanks in advance. 61Jack

Jack, You should start a new thread for this question. We would need a little more information on the cam and valve train to advise and no they do not need to be set Hot.