Newbie valve adj question

Mr59rag

Hey I’ve been reading and tried many different valve adj on my 348, that are on all the valve adjustment treads that I have found on here. But I’m running into an issue, and would like to see if anyone could possibly help with some advice. Before I tear it apart further.

Ok, back story. (Long story SORRY)
Car has always ran like a dream. One day started acting up, after long trouble shooting I ended up having to pull the intake. Luckily I did, because I found the push rod not sitting in the lifter. After removing the cover I found the nut had backed out of the rocker stud and the rocker just turned slightly enough that and the push rod came out. Now I replaced with exact same replacement. (Melling). Inspected the lifter and it was fine with no damage.

now, I have never been able to adjust the valves right ever since. I tried many methods last being as the shop manual except only turned 1/4 turn after zero lash. But #7 cylinder has no compression. I also had tried adjusting with 1/2 turn after zero lash. Now if I back off the 1/4 or 1/2 turn essentially just setting 0 lash, I get good compression. So at this point I don’t know what to do or what is going on.

(Also I am no expert, but I’ve done plenty of valve adjustments through out my time. Just did one on my bro’s 61 impala worked fine.). So if anyone has any idea what could it be or why I can’t get an compression with the valve adjusted I would greatly appreciate it. I will post some pix of how I found the push rod and the nut backed off of the rocker stud

Attachments

• 5299580C-2B2A-4105-B287-F6443861CF53.jpeg
    5299580C-2B2A-4105-B287-F6443861CF53.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 86F4CCF8-3EAD-4331-9492-C588794097C8.jpeg
    86F4CCF8-3EAD-4331-9492-C588794097C8.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 103
  • CCF4AE2E-357F-4BD8-A2E0-13C0F04C8179.jpeg
    CCF4AE2E-357F-4BD8-A2E0-13C0F04C8179.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 101

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe it's just me, but I would make sure that the lifter is not stuck. then I would replace the lifter the pushrod the rocker arm and get a new lock nut and start from scratch. 0 lash then a half a turn. and yes adjusting it with it running till the ticking goes away and then 1/4 to 1/2 turn works too. sometimes you can put the lifter in some motor oil and take a towel and push on the push rod and pump the lift her up while it's in the oil, or let it soak submerged in the oil for a while. That's my two cents worth good luck!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I cut a valve cover up once....it didn't work!!!!!!
The one above is taller than the valve cover. It might work if you put the splash shields on the top of the rocker arm otherwise the oil will squirt over the top of the valve cover.

Mr59rag

I cut a valve cover up once....it didn't work!!!!!!
The one above is taller than the valve cover. It might work if you put the splash shields on the top of the rocker arm otherwise the oil will squirt over the top of the valve cover.
Ya I was planning on making one. Taller as well. For the oil splash and I have the splash clips too

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I never set them running, never understood that, makes to much of a mess.
I have noticed that when I have removed a head and reuse the old cam and lifters, that after adjusting the valves it takes some time for the lifters to bleed down, I just keep cranking tell they bleed down and compression is restored.

427John

Well Known Member
Another thing to verify since the pushrod may have bounced around in there is to make sure the lifter is actually moving up and down following the cam lobe and not stuck in the lifter bore,the pics you have all show it in the up position.Additionally in the picture of the valley what is that laying by the bottom of the loose pushrod is that the pushrod seat popped out of the top of the lifter?And just to be thorough are you certain these are not solid lifters.

Last edited:

38Chevy

Well Known Member
Make sure you have the right pushrods. I made the mistake a long time ago of using 348 or low-po 409 pushrods with the 425 HP heads. The guides holes in these heads are made for the larger pushrods and using the skinny ones will result in bent pushrods, pushrods jumping out. In my case one of the rockers wobbles around so much that it pushed down on one side of a valve retainer causing one of the split valve keepers to jump out . Luckily I caught it before it dropped the valve.