NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Guys, thanks for all the welcomes.
I started another conversation just now ( Stuck in limbo). I don’t know if I went about it correctly so I wanted to mention it here also. I am looking forward to you alls thoughts and comments

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Guys, thanks for all the welcomes.
I started another conversation just now ( Stuck in limbo). I don’t know if I went about it correctly so I wanted to mention it here also. I am looking forward to you alls thoughts and comments
I did a search and didn't find your Stuck in Limbo conversation.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don’t know what I did wrong, wished my grandkids were here!
Stuck in limbo
What happen wus
So the wagon has been begging for a big block, I have a 454 but just never got comfortable with putting it in the 61. Then the thought oh yeh I should find a 348/409, began to look and viola found a 59 motor disassembled, bought it and it is at the shop waiting for me to give him the go ahead on cleaning and inspecting ( it is virgin and just eyeballing it looks good). Meantime I got wind of a 409 so I hunted the fellow down and sure enough a supposedly old never run hot build but he wouldn’t show it to me or price it? Then I found a 348 in the salvage yard and it is private stock of the owner but he wouldn’t price it either. Here’s my ? How important is it in this case to get a correct year motor for this car? It is a V8 vin,mostly original car, would this become a valuable car with the correct 348 or 409? This car was originally a PG now a 350 turbo and I will most likely change it to 700r4.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Both the 2 above motors were supposedly 61s but i never got to verify it . It got me to thinking though just how important it might be if I decided to sell the car someday, or maybe my widow could make some money on it!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don’t know what I did wrong, wished my grandkids were here!
Stuck in limbo
What happen wus
So the wagon has been begging for a big block, I have a 454 but just never got comfortable with putting it in the 61. Then the thought oh yeh I should find a 348/409, began to look and viola found a 59 motor disassembled, bought it and it is at the shop waiting for me to give him the go ahead on cleaning and inspecting ( it is virgin and just eyeballing it looks good). Meantime I got wind of a 409 so I hunted the fellow down and sure enough a supposedly old never run hot build but he wouldn’t show it to me or price it? Then I found a 348 in the salvage yard and it is private stock of the owner but he wouldn’t price it either. Here’s my ? How important is it in this case to get a correct year motor for this car? It is a V8 vin,mostly original car, would this become a valuable car with the correct 348 or 409? This car was originally a PG now a 350 turbo and I will most likely change it to 700r4.
First rule on this forum is: no one should care but you on what you put in your car. Don't let anyone tell you that a 348, 409, 454 or #'s matching small block should be in the car. If you have a 348 then run with it. Don't go chasing 409 dreams because the money you spend on just buying a 409 would have been more than enough to create a nasty fun 348 stroker. My 434ci (4inch stroke 348 with .030 over pistons) is more than enough for me for now. I spent way less on it then I would have chasing after a 409 block to build. My wagon has the original powerglide in it but I have a 700r4 going in its place because it needs that over drive and first gear is lower to help it get off the line too.
Anyway, make this baby yours but don't spend all of your money on a 409 when that 348 can be made to anything you want it to be mild/wild. The vast majority of people will never know the difference between the two and most aren't worth explaining it to anyway. LOL!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you have a 59 5011 block,the only difference between it and a 61 is that the holes for the power steering pump brackets are not drilled.Easy fix.The car will be worth more with a 348 in it than it will with either that poor little 170 horse 283[original engine]or a big block.I'd vote for building it.A basic 380 would be all you'd need for a sprited engine for that 61..

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I agree with what 1964SuperStocker said, that 348 will make a NICE engine for that 61 wagon. And yes no one would ever know that its not a 409 unless they climbed up on your car to read the casting # on the back of the block. On the value of your car, yes a W motor will increase the value of it and would be FUN to drive with all the torque you will gain. As far as changing the motor in the car, the only motor that adds any value to the car would be the one it was born with unless it wasn't a W motor, if it was an original 6 or small block car the W engine would add more value even not being original to the car. If you have a good 348 engine now I would go with it and not look back.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you have a 59 5011 block,the only difference between it and a 61 is that the holes for the power steering pump brackets are not drilled.Easy fix.The car will be worth more with a 348 in it than it will with either that poor little 170 horse 283[original engine]or a big block.I'd vote for building it.A basic 380 would be all you'd need for a sprited engine for that 61..
Don is planning your build already! :burnoutBudget is always important too but don't be afraid of running the stock crank and putting some 10:1- 11:1 pistons in it. With a aftermarket intake and a better camshaft that little bad boy would come to life and keep you happy for years to come. Though your tire budget might take a hit. :burnout

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I know there are some Missouri but I'm sure there should be some closer to you and save on shipping or maybe just a pickup and meet some new friends. :)