Newby- Prolly Buying A '63 (clone) Biscayne 409-425

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You would have to remove the bumper filler panel. all I have access to right now is a 63, not sure if the is the same as a 62.
I could get pictures and measurements from it if that would help.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If you're paying $10,000 it sounds like a great deal. If you're only borrowing $10,000 whats the total price? Check numbers on the block to make sure you're getting the engine you've always wanted many false represented ones out there.

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
Should be a QB or rare transistor ignition QP. I just saw and spoke with the owner of a '65 ex drag car 409-400 Biscayne with factory transistor ignition. Tremendous owner restoration, inc polyurethane (no clear coat) paint.

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
I'm supposed to see the car in a couple of hours, it's raining cats and dogs!!! A video would be better, water poring off a parking lot, whirlpooling into the sewer! I was parked immediately adjacent, luckily not in the little flood!IMG-20190625-WA0047.jpeg

Last edited:

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
So it's a 340hp built as a dual quad soliid lifter, but I went ahead and bought it anyways. Drives well, has a bit of bondo in the back, but where ya going ta get a turnkey 409 4 speed that looks good and drives well for $21,000. It comes with a spare 3.08, and has a Muncie M20 wide ratio with 3.55 P code posi, good BFG tires, clean interior, all windows work. Floors are nice, frame too. I'll write more later, I've got to drive now0625192049.jpg0625192049.jpgIMG-20190625-WA0067.jpegIMG-20190625-WA0071.jpegIMG-20190625-WA0064.jpeg

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
I may go get the car tmrw, there's the issue that it's in Montreal area, and I don't have a place to park it. So I may just pay for it and leave it with the seller for a few days. We discussed the "find" of the engine. He said when he bot it 6 or so years ago, they guy had several, at least 15, in all states of disassembly, this one having just been "rebuilt". Seller has been driving it, about 5,000 miles in 5 years, and from the brief blast he took me on, it performs adequately. I'm aware of its shortcomings, but as I stated above, I'm in the door and behind the wheel for $21,000.

I don't think I could duplicate the ride for that price. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but I've got a yard full of projects, and a life to lead and 6 months of miserable winter.
1st priority may be a better and cleaner looking radiator and clutch fan and shroud. Maybe a bottle of water wetter, and I think I'll run Amsoil to get the neccesary ZDDP. I took an enlarged screenshot of the engine stamp, but it won't post. Says does not have allowed extension. Can I email it to someone here? It's depressing that it's a 340, but it'll give me something to look forward to upgrading

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I may go get the car tmrw, there's the issue that it's in Montreal area, and I don't have a place to park it. So I may just pay for it and leave it with the seller for a few days. We discussed the "find" of the engine. He said when he bot it 6 or so years ago, they guy had several, at least 15, in all states of disassembly, this one having just been "rebuilt". Seller has been driving it, about 5,000 miles in 5 years, and from the brief blast he took me on, it performs adequately. I'm aware of its shortcomings, but as I stated above, I'm in the door and behind the wheel for $21,000.

I don't think I could duplicate the ride for that price. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but I've got a yard full of projects, and a life to lead and 6 months of miserable winter.
1st priority may be a better and cleaner looking radiator and clutch fan and shroud. Maybe a bottle of water wetter, and I think I'll run Amsoil to get the neccesary ZDDP. I took an enlarged screenshot of the engine stamp, but it won't post. Says does not have allowed extension. Can I email it to someone here? It's depressing that it's a 340, but it'll give me something to look forward to upgrading
Just remember that just because you have a 340hp motor doesn't mean you can't make 700hp if you like. Besides my little stroked 348 is more powerful than any factory 409 ever was. You can make that engine be whatever you like and no one here will give a damn what HP it is because you are family now. Not saying I'll invite you over for the holidays but we are related now. :D I'm bringing my little 348 to the drag races soon and will get beat by everyone. But I'll have fun either way.

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
I'm still short $7000, but I'll figure it out!

In my next life I'd like to have a correct QB block, but whatarethoseworth??? And then to build it??? And then a bubbletop to put it in?????

That's why I pulled the trigger on this one. Write a check, drive a 409. Seems simple enuff.

And when your better half is cooking for the holidays, remember I'm Jewish and don't really like meat, but love it SPICY!

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
There it is, built 340PG. I wonder what else the guy had in his stash when this motor was purchased??? Seller said he was shown no's, and it was a solid lifter whatever...

Whatever... It runs strong, no oil, no blowby, no weird noises

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
Here's a China rad I just had dlvrd, it goes in a friends '66 Olds 98 425 hi compression with wrkng AC. $207 shppd, a 4 row was $250 I think. Quality looks good. I wonder what they offer for the ':09?IMG-20190626-WA0057.jpegIMG-20190626-WA0055.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mike and I both run Champion two core aluminum radiators in our 09 cars. Mike also has an aluminum radiator from Auto City Classics in his other 09 car. Both radiators work well with no overheating issues. The Auto City Classic radiator is much nicer looking though.

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
So things have happened quickly! I saw a few pix of the car last Wednesday, parked at the local cruise in, and I paid for it and took delivery at around 6 tonite!

I immediately drove it to the cruise in, but the American cars meet Wednesday nite. I parked among RHD Jap cars. She overheated chugging around town, then idling in the lot wtng for a parking spot to open up. None of the 20somethings had a clue what it was.

I drove it for about an hour. It hesitates from time to time, carb sticks on fast idle sometimes. The car is hard to launch, it feels like I already have 3.08's, but those supposedly are in the trunk! She doesn't come alive until over 3000rpm. I stalled it several times, clutch is rather abrupt. Brakes work well, ebrake too.

I'm posting a video on Ytube as I type this...

I'll go get it for an open house out of town on Saturday, it's at my Mothers condo for now, safe n sound-all tucked in

0627192130.jpgIMG-20190627-WA0023.jpegIMG-20190627-WA0021.jpegIMG-20190627-WA0046.jpegIMG-20190627-WA0047.jpeg0627192159a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20190627-WA0035.jpeg
    IMG-20190627-WA0035.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16