Next issue rear brakes

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Now that the 1st. 12 bolt project is done, in a few more weeks I'll get started on the Biscayne rear axle swap deal. This time should go well, but one thing now got me to thinking. It's about the rear brakes, specifically the rear drum size. So, my car has the 11" rears and the Chevelle 12 bolt has the 10" rear brakes and are the smaller rear brakes going to be enough or should I try to find some 65-70 Impala rear brakes for this swap deal. I know I can do rear discs if the bigger rear drum parts are the same price. What have you guy s done in a rear end swap with brakes?

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I just went thru this swap last year .. The 65-70 rear backing plate has a larger bolt pattern because of the use of the larger wheel bearings .

The only GM housing that i know of w/ the smaller flange/bolt pattern as the 9.5 rear brakes is
73-77 GM intermediate ... Chevelle , Cutlass Pontiac , and Regal .. But not so simple ... There were only certain brake options [ HD braking ] Station wagon .. They are 2 X11 the same as our cars ....

These backing plates are hard to find, in the NE all the cars of this vintage have been scrapped ....The offset is off about 3/16 .. The drum misses that much of the brake shoe !

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Ya I read that the 73-77 cars will be the ones to use, so I'll have to keep my eyes out for a rear end at the swap meets. I'll run the 9.5's for now and see how our car stops. Might need to adjust the proportioning valve a little after the swap me thinks.