NHRA Hot Rod Reunion

alloy409

Well Known Member
Notice for all who attended this year's Mason-Dixon event:

Thank you again for your participation and help in making this a successful event. While there, I was approached by Fred Bear from the S&S Racing Team and he told me how impressed he was with our field of cars. He has asked if we would be interested in attending the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, Kentucky June 16-18, 2016. He recently confirmed with Steve Gibbs, the NHRA event coordinator and they would like us to attend. This happens to be the largest NHRA nostalgia event in the country.

Now the dilemma...the following weekend will probably be the Mason-Dixon event. Although, please know that date has yet to be confirmed. I will not be able to do both and imagine most of us can't due to logistics, timing, etc. I need everyone's input on this. I've been asked by Fred to have a definitive answer by Labor Day so we can be included in their planning. We would have to have a minimum of 16 race cars. As of this time, I don't have any info on show cars.

Please let me know your thoughts. I know you'll have a lot of questions but I won't have the answers right now. Assuming this comes together, would you attend a 3 day national event with national coverage in lieu of the local venue? If enough of you are interested and willing to commit, I'll proceed with the effort. If not, we'll decline.

If you would like to attend the national event, I've been asked to provide a profile sheet for each race car along with a good quality photo. It's up you all...let me know.

Al

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
Hi Al,
This looks like a very nice invitation. I'm convinced they were impressed with how you and your team ran the M-D event.
Yes, I would be happy to go to Bowling Green.
Could the event at Mason-Dixon be held in July?
I'd really like for we "W" folks to be able to get together 4 time a year.
Thanks for your advisement of this neat event.
Mark

alloy409

Well Known Member
Mark, the date for Mason-Dixon hasn't been nailed down but I know it will take place after Bowling Green. I'll give you a better answer as the information becomes available. That's the best I have for now. First I need to find out if there is enough interest in Bowling Green.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Al I think I could do Bowling Green but need to make sure it doesn't interfere with an AACA show. I can't find the 2016 schedule
Robert

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dad and I will go again. Martin Key also has a couple people at the track he knows. Hopefully he gave his car done by then. And yes Al you did a great job at the Maryland event. Count us in for both I hope.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:burnoutYa Scott there's no way my car won't be finished by next year so i will be right there with ya'll hopefully Bryan Fugate and Fat Head will be there also, it was a great time last year and the Royal Oak can tell you about the car show he and his son entered their car, it was a great time and i can't wait.........

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thinking of going back for the car show next year. Have my daughters wedding next year, but as soon as the wedding date is set, I'll figure out my schedule .
Had a great time meeting everyone at Bowling Green.
It's about 8 hour from Detroit, with all of it on the expressways and only one nasty interchange.
Only other thing will be figuring out where to park the trailer, not going to park it in the cow pasture & trying to step around all the fresh cow paddies, not fun at all, but something I will always remember doing once.
The race cars didn't have that problem, only the show cars.

Dave

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The only hitch for me is it's on Father's Day weekend. If the group goes I will try to make it. With enough planning ahead maybe my family can celebrate on a different weekend. ??

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
All the more reason! Dads day and thats where he wants to be! I joined a street rod club this year , mostly older guys, I hear storys how they use to plan family vacations around rod runs as a group. How cool would that have been growing up around

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm in for Bowling Green 2016.... :burnout.....my avatar is my first pass, after building the car this winter, @ Bowling Green this year, and what a friggin' blast :happy, except I was bummed :mad6 NOT to see but only 1 'o9er there. I was looking for Allen George's Blue Screamer, but he was probably sceeered :hide knowing I was going to be there!!!!

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm in for Bowling Green 2016.... :burnout.....my avatar is my first pass, after building the car this winter, @ Bowling Green this year, and what a friggin' blast :happy, except I was bummed :mad6 NOT to see but only 1 'o9er there. I was looking for Allen George's Blue Screamer, but he was probably sceeered :hide knowing I was going to be there!!!!

I don't know how you missed us........ Lonnie and Scott, Mike and Dianne Bell, Mandy and Mike, Dave, his son, and a few other guys from close by were there the whole weekend, hope we can make this happen, Lonnie and Scott for sure are coming, I will be there with my car so that's 2, you bring your car back that's 3, Bryan Fugate Fathead, chime in anytime, lets go racing guys, this event will put the 409 back into the picture and we will be the ones that did it, not to mention putting the 348-409 guys on the map, plus since this is an NHRA event we will probaly be racin for a WALLY :dunno,

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just an opinion. If an NHRA Rep said that he would like to see a 16 car group (at least) of 409's to put on a show at one of the most recognized venues of the summer, and being a nostalgia event, it would have to be good for the 348-409 group as a whole. Plus Bob could probably gain new members. I know there has to be more than 16 cars just in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio that could be there. I'm sure they would be satisfied just to have the number of cars to make a showing going down the track whether they be stock, modified, or all out race cars. As Martin said, we were there this year, and I for one can say it is really neat to watch the old Chevys, Fords, Pontiacs, and Mopars of the 50's and 60's going down the track. I'm sure a showing of 348-409 cars would be very popular. Again, JMO.

Lonnie