NHRA Junior Stock

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
You have a very cool car there Denny:beer Do you do an engine swap for NSS and NHRA C/Stock?:bow
Carl , The Stocker mtr is NHRA legal , approved pistons , cam has to check as per lift , valve sizes , intake and carbs stock , limited valve job, .... Blueprinting is where the power is achieved , low tension rings , cam profiles , no porting or grinding in the heads or intake .... The limitations make it fun ,

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
That's good 60' on that timeslip,Denny. My best at Pomona this last time was a 1.564 and a 1.572.I don't get it in the air like that, however. Some real fast Stockers are a bit slow in 60' because the rear wheels are what hit the 60' timer instead of the fronts. Your car isn't the least bit slow at all. It's impressive!!!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The fun thing about this is getting any given engine combination to run far in excess of what the original designers of that car ever dreamed possible. A for instance is a team that wanted to go class racing, one of them had a very straight and decent 68 Chevelle 6 passenger station wagon and ran it at a street legal drag day. It went 16.95, 16.99, and 17.03. 78.50 to 78.75 mph. Off came the power steering, good for .12,off came the stock single exhaust,on went some Hooker Super Comp headers and two Dynomax 3" bullet mufflers ,good for .46, then came a good ignition tune up and a distributor rebuild. Good for .41, then came a very good Stock Eliminator built Quadrajet.Good for .49. here they gained over 1.25 seconds without anything but bolt on parts. One thing led to another, a trans, a converter, a 12 bolt with a spool and some 4.88's, still running the 90000 mile old stock 327, it broke into the real high 13's on a very fast day at the track, out came the motor for a replacement Stock Eliminator motor, in went a set of 5.57 gears, new tires and wheels all the way around, (9" slicks), it got into the 12's at 101.Body and interior were pure stock, and this all steel beastie weighed 3700 pounds without driver, 3870 with driver, and it ran NHRA O/SA, 13.30 index.I guarantee that the learning that occurred with these guys on this team far exceeded the average automotive classes in any junior college vocational program. I think the car got sold a long time ago, but these guys got an idea after going to watch at Pomona and they went out and proved they could do it. Of such are almost all of us.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
The one thing about stock eliminator is the harder you work the faster you can go in most cases ! Back in the old days the money wasn't there and effort and determination was about all there was ... It takes money for sure but you have to work ... The standouts are proof of that !!
Even today w/ megabuck involvement you will see someone come out w/ an unknown combination and they make it fly ... case in point is the US Nationals in 2017 unheard of cars Qualifing in the top spots .....:clap:clap

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Just a note about factory race cars from back then--in NHRA Stock Eliminator, the fastest class was A/S and A/SA. 8 pounds per HP. Thunderbolts were lighter than that so they were not legal in Stock Eliminator, so were Z-11's. They came in at 7.75 pounds or so. NHRA in past years came up with a faster class, AA/S and AA/SA. Now, some Thunderbolts, no doubt clones, are showing up in nine inch tire Stock Eliminator under these two classes. I raced my I/SA Chevelle at the NHRA National Open at Fontana Dragway,and a 64 Thunderbolt was in the staging lanes in front of me for round one of Stock/Super Stock combo,and he was dialed in at a 9.96.Wow. The AA/SA index is a 10.70.I estimate his MPH at the finish line was about 132 or so. I didn't see him run, but should have watched a little more carefully in qualifying. There still are 427 and 428 Fords in Stock and Super Stock running FE power. Mighty fast Ford Edsel power out there.

Last edited: