NHRA Junior Stock

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The fact that those cars went close to 115-120 MPH in the lights meant that those early builders knew the things to do that made those combinations run like they did. That takes lots of horsepower to make a 3600 pound car go that fast. ET's were not up to the MPH, however. Today's stock eliminator cars would go 10.80 or so at 120. Wouldn't that have made them all sit up and take notice?Z-11's would have gone about 10.30's.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The fact that those cars went close to 115-120 MPH in the lights meant that those early builders knew the things to do that made those combinations run like they did. That takes lots of horsepower to make a 3600 pound car go that fast. ET's were not up to the MPH, however. Today's stock eliminator cars would go 10.80 or so at 120. Wouldn't that have made them all sit up and take notice?Z-11's would have gone about 10.30's.

One more thing I’ll add. In the 60’s we had to run 7” tires. With all the HP generated you had to launch by “feathering” the clutch to get some bite.
The 61 Impala with the 409/409 would literally smoke the tires as long as you stayed in it in first gear.

I remember having to do feather the clutch even in 1969 with a 327 68 Nova. I forgot what width tires, bigger than 7, but I could burn them to the ground also.
Lowered the pressure and screwed the bead to the rim and ran 11.86. I bet I could figure out the weight with that ET and get a HP.
Anyway, as I remember it was after 1970 before the big wide tires were legal in stock classes.
Someone correct me on that.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I am working on getting a chance to race at Indy this year. :pray
Now don't go call the press...it's just one of those silly bucket list things.:)
If I am lucky at the bracket race stuff then it would be a bonus. :cool: