Nice Headstone

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My buddy who used to help me with old Chevies and who painted both my old cars died last year from the Big C. His headstone got installed this spring and I thought you would appreciate it:

324181573.jpg

324181579.jpg

324181581.jpg

It is an original car- long story but somebody gave it to him for a $1.00. It had plastic seat covers, like new in the back seat, 60,000 miles or so, 327-250 PG, with posi. Always garaged, never driven in winter, he's an old drag guy and when he got sick, he took the car to the drags. It ran in the 16's, then he broke a piston and had to rebuild it.

His son has the car now, he also has a 71 Chevelle SS, 350 4 speed, air, bench seat.

He never lived long enough to hear my 409 run. He was a great mechanic, worked at a Chevie dealership when 69 Camaros COPO cars when they were new. He could listen to an engine and tell you which piston had a miss and most of the time, why it had a miss.

Don

62OLDRELIABLE

Supporting Member 2
that brings back memories

That is a nice way to honor him thats cool .Two of my brothers are gone one has a chevy bowtie engraved and the other a cowboy hat on his they have been gone along time now.Both were mechanics .

Thanks for the post ,Kevin

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:cry Sad ending to what sound like a great friend and guy !!

Nice tribute!!:clap

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
That is a nice tribute.
I was thinking about Ken today at the races here in N.S. He was the president of the drag racing association at the track we race at. I only talked to him once and he was a very nice guy. I wanted to get a picture of our cars making a pass together so I could have it framed and give it to him (he was sick at the time). I was a year too late getting my car out and I missed my chance. Don am I corect in saying that he got that car for $1 because of him being a good person? That was the story I had heard.

Shane

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Shane, you are correct. The car was stolen back is 89 and was damaged and he got the job of painting it. He became friendly with the owner and being a mechanic, they would get him to maintain it. The owner bought it new and he passed away in his late 80's.

The fellow had one daughter and her only son learned how to look after it and was to inherit the car. He had a heart attack and died at age 35, so the lady decided that since the body man had taken such good care of the car, she would sell it to him for $1.00.

You may know the boys at the track called Kenny The Professor.

Don