No clue!

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Spark plug wires are very important to the operation of your ignition system. A good quality, helically

wound wire and proper routing are required to get the best performance from your ignition, such as

the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire. Helically wound wires provide a good path for the spark to

follow while keeping Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) to a minimum. Excessive EMI, such as the

amount that solid core wires produce, will interfere with the operation of the MSD. Solid Core spark

plug wires cannot be used with an MSD Ignition.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I think it was in the 6AL tech material? I think I had heard that before, and also I saw something referencing no solid wires. But I didn't bookmark it or anything. Could also go back to old standby 3923 or 3924 Autolites I guess.
Yes MSD says do not use solid core spark plug wires. Also when I tried the Autolite 3924 race plugs it slowed the car down, went back to the NGK's.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
When mine did that, I had to much timing.
At the time I was running with 35 degrees or so. A search on the plugs I'm running now although a quality plug may be to hot? Looking at the numbers haven't satisfied me as to what the heat range is. If the second number after the dash, - , indicates heat rang then these plugs are relatively cold or cool. In any case the NGK plug I have chosen leaves no guessing as to the right plug for a racing engine. The Delco plug although a quality piece is listed as a "regular" plug.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes MSD says do not use solid core spark plug wires. Also when I tried the Autolite 3924 race plugs it slowed the car down, went back to the NGK's.

I think I'm going to listen to Dave and put in a set of NGKs. Then maybe I will have a garage sale to get rid of excess spark plugs! I did think the MSD iridium were better than the Autolites, but I'd like to hear more from Don on leaded race gas and iridium plugs?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did some digging and msd doesn’t care what plug as long as it is copper core and not any iridium or platinum or any other fancy pants plug. As already stated they don’t recommend solid core wires. I like autolite racing plugs also except that they are more difficult to read heat on the ground strap.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's a question for you guys, I have Edelbrock heads on my 409 and they call for a Champion RC12YC. After reading this thread and several others, it sounds as though NGK plugs work the best. When I try and cross the RC12YC to NGK, I get several options. Can anyone tell me what the best NGK number would be for street driving?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For my 431, with BWR heads and expecting to run 8 psi of forced induction, I bought NGK plugs. The part number is in the attached photo.
Like a lot of things, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Attachments

• 15660043208587235982260533468726.jpg
    15660043208587235982260533468726.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 7

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
For my 431, with BWR heads and expecting to run 8 psi of forced induction, I bought NGK plugs. The part number is in the attached photo.
Like a lot of things, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Looks like a good choice to me for your forced induction to race on. If you were street driving it you would probably want to go to a little hotter plug for the long distance part throttle cruising.