Not a 'W' or a Chevy.....

tenxal

Well Known Member
...but I spent my day helping a good pal change engines on his Cobra Jet. It's a real Cobra Jet, not a body-in-white build, #50 of 50 built that year.

Out with the Roush engine:
k7gbWyul.jpg

In with the B.E.S. engine:
xnKFbCJl.jpg

tenxal

Well Known Member
Yes, looks complicated and looks like the same engine? What's different in summary with the two? Robert

They are both 5.0 Cobra Jet engines with the 1.6 litre Whipple superchargers. The B.E.S. engine features updates such as individual coil-on-plug ignition as well as some other tweaks. Bottom line is the new piece makes about 200 h.p. more than the one it's replacing. And the one it's replacing is plenty stout, as it is. ;)

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The coil upgrade has to be some big help, every time I pulled one of the coil on plug to replace a spark plug or do a leak down, it was always a crap shoot that the coil would work again on the daily driver stuff that I have to work on. :doh

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Interesting comments over the coil on plug system. A car that I recently sold at 270,00 miles had that system. I had several “knowledgeable “ people caution me to keep an eye on those coils. That car never missed a beat! I must toddle over to the cabinet to think this through:dunno
Robert

tenxal

Well Known Member
10 lb of stuff into a 5 lb sack. Originally, the engine was on the sub frame, the headers were built and the whole cradle was lifted up into place on the body. To get it out from the top, the trans had to come out first. But it's all back in place and ready for some wiring work to mate the Holley ignition system to the ECU.

AOf3D7Cl.jpg

Ecto05pl.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Someone should send that pic to Roush. I wonder what they would think seeing one of their engines being replaced by a factory engine :laugh2

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Roush engine is being replaced by one built by B.E.S. (Bischoff Engine Service).
http://www.besracing.com/

Again, the Roush engine is plenty stout, no issues at all.

I guess I missed that. I thought it was one of the new Coyote engines in the new mustangs. Either way, Roush has a storied history, and definately not try to disparage them, however your friends swap still says something. He didn't go back to Roush, nor did he upgrade the existing motor. Must be something pretty good about that B.E.S. Engine.

tenxal

Well Known Member
My pal wanted to change some things on the Roush engine as it wasn't making the boost it should due to the camshafts (4) that were in it. The B.E.S. engine became available when it's owner decided to go with the new 2019 style Cobra Jet engine which has the inter cooler mounted on top of the supercharger. The engine was a new build, just off the dyno and still sitting at B.E.S. so it made sense to go this way and then send the Roush back for the changes needed rather than losing an entire season waiting for the Roush to be serviced and new pieces sourced. These things are not your average SBC/BBC's or even 'W' engines when it comes to parts availability.

No drama, nothing to see here....:D